News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

N-scale or Ho-scale?

Started by hudson488, March 16, 2012, 01:16:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

when i was in n scale, i had a u shaped 5x8 layout, with 14"r as minimum radius. that is the equivalent of 24r in HO, big enough to run almost anything.    i had well over 60 feet of track in this space, and while the track was convoluted there was plenty of room. the layout did not look overcrowded. a move to a new house, with layout space in a dusty basement, led me back into HO. but overall i had gotten good results from N in a clean room.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

cats2287

Well, I'm only ten, and I do N, but you have to have good eyesight and a lot of patience.Honestly, it's you decision. If you live in an apartment with no young kids,(1-8) I'd do N. If you live in a house with young kids, do HO.It all really depends on your conscience.This is just me, but I think N runs a little better than HO.

BM2525

:o CATS2287, haven't you read the notice that came out right after we had a change in Washington???  N-Scale are not toys, but models, and are not for those under 14? My Grandson's were very upset when I told them that, the older one, who is now 15 had been running my trains, since he was 12. His younger brother joined us 2 years later when he turned 12. They both have their own engines, and rolling stock, they run their trains when the group of 10 adults, many retired put on exhibits for the public. They have attended shows that we have exhibited at; last year The Great American Train Show, The Golden spike, the NMRA Piedmont Division, The Great Train Expo,  as well as a couple of shows at churches to help them raise funds. I comment you for getting involved, and I hope it brings you many years of joy. We run N-Scale, and follow the National T-Trak standards. Those standards have been expanded on, which is what we actually, but still comply with the National Standard so we can also take our modules to National Shows. We have been contacte from others living in Virginia, and Texas to see if we will try and set up at the NMRA show that is coming to Atlanta next year. If can be a lot of fun, so keep it up.