News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Track compatibility

Started by TreMac, March 30, 2012, 07:48:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TreMac

Is E-Z Track compatible with any other makers track? If so which ones??

Desertdweller

Since EZ Track has its own roadbed, it can be used with other brands with roadbed if you make modifications.
There are two other brands that I am aware of: Life-Like and Kato Unitrack.

In either case, what needs to be changed is the interface between the ends of the roadbed.

Kato Unitrack is very much like EZ Track.  The ends of the roadbed correspond with the ends of the rails.  The major problem is the connectors between the roadbed sections (not the track itself) are incompatible.

This is not a big deal.  Simply cut off the plastic connectors from the roadbed at the joint, and join the sections using the rail joiners.  You could glue the roadbed sections together if you need a stronger joint.

Or, you could take two straight sections, one of each type, and cut the roadbed in two in the center.  Pop one half of the roadbed off each piece and glue to the exposed bottom of the track on the other.  You now have two "conversion" sections that can be used to join Kato and EZ Track together.

Life-Like track with roadbed presents a problem.  The roadbed does not end evenly with the ends of the track.  There is a built-in jog in each piece of roadbed.  This serves two purposes:  It makes a stronger joint between roadbed sections than the straight-across joints of EZ Track and Unitrack.  And, by making the track sections incompatible with EZ Track and Unitrack, it encourages sole use of Life-Like's product.

Again, all is not lost.  Get a pair of straight track sections the same length, on of each brand.  As in the above example, cut each in two in the center, cutting the roadbed only.  Snap half the roadbed off each piece and glue on the remaining piece from each section of track.  You now have two conversion sections from Life-Like track to whatever track you are using.

That is one of the things about this hobby:  don't be afraid to cut things apart if it will get you what you want.

Les

TreMac

Thank you...most appreciated

Albert in N

Also, Bachmann E-Z track has taller roadbed than Kato UniTrack, so you would have to shim it to be the same rail height.  Prior to Bachmann E-Z track expanding the product line, I used Kato road crossing rerailer track sections fitted to E-Z track.  Also, I used Kato magnetic uncoupling track sections shimmed up to height of the E-Z track.  It works, but the track appearance looks patched unless you add ballast.  If you don't ballast, my preference is to stick with one brand of track.