1ST TRAIN SET - Starting to collect

Started by LYNARROYO, April 11, 2012, 11:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LYNARROYO

My husband has always loved trains but we've never had the room. His birthday is coming up and I want to surprise him with some type of starter set so he can start his collection. I know nothing about trains but would love to have an idea of where I should start and what is recommended for someone just starting out.

Thanks again...

Doneldon

Lyn-

It's very nice of you to want to give your husband something you know he will really like. But ... there are two problems. First, if he catches the model railroading bug you'll regret giving him the trains for the rest of your natural life. Second, it's just about impossible to know where to start someone else. For example, you need to decide for him (unless he's made it clear already) the size (scale) of his railroad models, the era which interests him most, what kind of terrain he'd prefer to model, and even whether he has a favorite railroad. Throw in other choices like whether he might enjoy running trains or switching sidings, what kind of control system he might want, what his future interest and budget might be and, a really big one, is he prepared to make a commitment to a long-term project like building a model railroad?

Have I discouraged you yet? I hope not. But I would discourage you from surprising him with model railroad equipment. It's just about impossible for you to know the answers to all of those questions so you'll probably miss the sweet spot. Then he might feel obligated to follow the path you've set him on or you might be disappointed that he didn't seem as thrilled as you hoped he would. So what to do?

As a general rule I hate giving or receiving money or gift certificates because they seem so impersonal and like the giver doesn't really know the recipient. However, that's exactly what I'll suggest you do in this case. Look at it as an opportunity to learn with him what he wants to do (he may well not know the answers to those questions himself yet, either!). Take him to a hobby shop with a good train selection or journey with him on the Inet to explore how he wants to proceed. And as his ideas begin to coalesce, buy some things to start him off. Perhaps you can give him a model railroading magazine or two and have him mark things he wants. Then you can surprise him at least to the point that he won't know which of his selections you'll choose to purchase for him.

Seriously, I think you have a great idea and I think it's wonderful that you have perceived his interest and want to help him get started. He's very lucky to have you in his life. But please don't jump the gun. Let him discover with you you the directions he wants to go.
                                                                                                                                                             -- D

mabloodhound

Don gave you great advice but I'll just relate my story for you.   I've always enjoyed model trains and had a nice layout from my teens into late twenties.   But then life intervened and for the next 30 years I did nothing with the models.
Then on a Christmas morning about 10 years ago, my wife gave me a Bachmann On30 set.   It was the Kincaid "collection" and really got my interest going again.   I was winding down my work and ready for a hobby.   The On30 was also perfect because it was 1:48 scale, larger than HO but ran on inexpensive HO track.   This was much better suited to my big shaky hands and eyeglasses.   And doesn't take up a lot of room for a layout.
Now, I DO NOT recommend the "collector" sets, they are way overpriced and never bring a return on investment.   But one of the Bachmann On30 sets would be something to consider.   You will hear from others here, who are also over 70, that HO scale is the only way to go.   Which is fine for them and a good reason to follow Don's advice.
My wife has good intuition on getting me something I will like and this was a good choice for me.   Take a look at the products here on the website (click above) and maybe clip a couple fo items out for his review.
8)
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security

Johnson Bar Jeff

Lyn,

Doneldon and Mabloodhound have both given you good advice. However, with some hesitation, fear, and trembling  ;D  I'm going to contradict Doneldon and suggest that at this point you not worry too much about what your husband's preferences might be as to model trains. Don't overthink it. I'm 54, and still, for me, almost nothing beats a train set as a birthday or Christmas gift.  ;D

I suggest you get your husband a Bachmann starter set in HO with DCC, or an On30 set. I'm sure he'll be thrilled with whatever it is, and soon enough afterward he'll refine his interest--and then you'll have a better idea what to get him on any gift-giving occasion.  ;D

Jeff

phillyreading

Lyn,

A starter set in H.O. would be nice. ;D Don't worry about all the bells & whistles of having the best operating set around, a basic set should get him interested and let him upgrade it if and when he feels like it.

Lee F.

Rangerover1944

Lyn likes been said with all kinds of comments but since you came to the Bachmann site, I would like to suggest an affordable DCC train set starting with Bachmann EZ Command. Here is a link to a Bachmann dealer in Texas, his name is Ray and he would be glad to talk to you on the phone.

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/c-1380-train-sets.aspx

Here is another link to explain in simple language and showing how this Bachmann EZ Command is affordable and 5 minutes set up and how to operate DCC (digital command control) on youtube.

http://www.google.com/search?q=bachmann+ez+command+youtube&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7GGLL_enUS385

Good Luck and I hope I helped some, Jim

NarrowMinded

Buy a model train magazine, crumple it a little and say you found it some where, then watch and listen, the trains he talks about most or shows you are the one's he most likely want's.

NM-Jeff

Johnson Bar Jeff

Quote from: NarrowMinded on April 13, 2012, 02:49:47 AM
Buy a model train magazine, crumple it a little and say you found it some where, then watch and listen, the trains he talks about most or shows you are the one's he most likely want's.

NM-Jeff

That's a good thought, but I'd be careful about that. What he talks about the most might not be realistic in terms of budget or available space (he might talk a lot about a G-scale set, but they might be living in a small high-rise apartment [like me]; we just don't know). But I wouldn't let that discourage from buying him a train set.

Jerrys HO

The Digital Commander set is an excellent start into DCC. It has two engines (GP40 and F7) and the basic EZ Command controller all for less than $175.00.

http://www.thefavoritespot.com/p-556-bachmann-ho-scale-train-set-digital-commander-00501.aspx

As Rangerover pointed out, Ray from the Favorite Spot is always glad to help.

Jerry

James in FL

Many of us have cut our teeth on basic DC starter sets.
IMO, it's a good place to get re-acquainted with the hobby.
The sets are fairly simple, go together easy and quick, and the locomotives and rail cars are easy to dissect, if your husband likes to tinker.
Any of the Spectrum sets fit this bill. The engines come with dual mode decoders (DC and DCC) so if he later takes a liking to DCC he's half way there.

I'm DC in N scale; it's what I like and wouldn't consider another scale or system.

That maybe the first thing to decide...what scale then after that ...DC or DCC?

Try to inform yourself the best you can, in the little time you have left, until his big day.

Good luck and keep us posted on how things turn out.

Jerrys HO

D

I thought Lyn was looking for a starter set not a DCC system. I stand by my suggestion as the EZ Command is a great starter stystem. Upgrading from there would be the husbands choice. What if he does not want/need all the bell's and whistle's,then he is out considerably more money than the Digital Commander set.
I personally run four loco's at one time ( 2 with sound-- S4 and  MTH SD70 ACE) with no problem's from my basic 1 amp EZ Controller. I purchased the 5 amp booster but have yet to remove it from it's cellophane and probably won't.  I however do intend to upgrade my system to one that will adjust cv's, but for two years my EZ has taught me the basics of DCC at a great price (excluding all the added track,switches and turntable I have installed).

Jerry

I could be wrong but I do not know of anyone but Bachmann producing DCC starter sets RTR. I did not find any when I started back in this great hobby.

Doneldon

I apologize to those whose feathers I ruffled with my opinions about the EZ Command system. I certainly intended no condescension or put down. But I stand by my assertions that the EZ Command is underpowered, too expensive to upgrade and still an elementary system when upgraded. Likewise, I continue to believe that, in the long run, a modeler is better off going with a starter system from another manufacturer or the Bachmann Dynamis than the EZ Command. A different DCC set-up would have a financial outlay similar to a "boosted" EZ Command but yield a full-featured system instead of one which can operate only ten locos, has essentially no programming capability and affords access to only a very limited number of sound and lighting features. My comments were/are intended to help the OP avoid a situation where she or her husband realize that they need more power and then either buy the pricey Bmann booster, only to find they still can't do what DCC is intended to do, or have to junk the EZ Command and invest in an entirely different system.

Just to clarify, given the implications in a couple of the recent posts, I am not a Bachmann Basher. Indeed, I have a goodly number of Bachmann items and I have often suggested that other modelers check out Bachmann's merchandise. I even used an EZ Command when I built a beginning pike for my grandson, only to see him outgrow it in a matter of months. Now he runs an MRC system which will do everything he can imagine doing with his trains. Frankly, I think Bachmann does the best job of combining features, reliability and price of any of the major players in model railroading. What they sell is, overwhelmingly, excellent merchandise. The EZ Command is an exception to that, IMHO, because it has such a limited capability and market.

I am sorry if the way I phrased my comments made other posters feel put down; nothing was further from my intent. But I do maintain my opinions about the EZ Command and, more important, my right to hold and express those opinions without being accused of insulting people, hating Bachmann, condescending or trying to tell posters not to buy Bachmann merchandise. And I believe those folks who made such accusations and put words in my mouth need to be responsible for their comments, as well, and apologize as I have. I guess we'll see what follows.
                                                                                                                          -- D

James in FL

::)  psssstttt...the OP's at the door...

Jerrys HO

D

I did not feel offended in any way. I merely stated she Lyn was looking for a good starter set and for the price of the Digital Commander set what a great way to learn the basics of DCC.
Yes the EZ Command is basic and may not be able to adjust cv's, but just starting out I do not believe he will be ready. Heck I have had mine for two years and I am still gun shy on the whole cv thing.

QuoteMy comments were/are intended to help the OP avoid a situation where she or her husband realize that they need more power and then either buy the pricey Bmann booster, only to find they still can't do what DCC is intended to do, or have to junk the EZ Command and invest in an entirely different system.

Just maybe he will be content with just running a few trains. If not, take the EZ Command and sell it to help purchase a new type system such as the Dynamis or NCE, Digitrax, etc.... As Jim said, he has been running his for seven years and mine going on two. My point is he still has the track, two loco's and rolling stock.
Let's look at it another way....
Two loco's $50.00 ea.                                           $100.00
Three piece's rolling stock $10.00ea.                    $ 30.00
EZ Track 4 straights $2.00 ea                               $   8.00
             12-18"radius $2.00ea.                            $ 24.00
             1 terminal rerailer                                   $    5.00
             1 manual turnout                                    $   FREE

TOTAL-----------$167.00  (without EZ COMMAND)
Prices are pretty close to what my hobby shop sells them for.
price from The Favorite Spot less than $175.00

So adding a different DCC system would virtually just be purchasing what they already need, instead he has the basic EZ Command to get him rolling instantly.

Once again I am not offended but I will apologize if you were.
Jerry

James would you let the OP in so Lyn can make up her mind.

Desertdweller

I would like to second Jame's original post.

I don't have a dog in that fight.  My model railroad is built with mostly E-Z Track, DC only, and uses equipment from a variety of manufacturers.  I have something from just about everyone, not the least of which is Bachmann.

This lady is just looking for something to get her husband started in the hobby.  I do not suggest she buy him an E-Z Command system for the following reason:

$175 is not a lot of money for a DCC set with two locomotives.  But it is on the high end for DC sets, even if you consider you are getting two locomotives.  If she bought him a DC set and an extra DC locomotive, she could get him started with less money.  And he could always upgrade to whatever level of DCC he may want without having to buy equipment that may be inadequate for what he may want.

What if Lyn's husband is not interested in "learning the basics of DCC"?  What if he just wants to enjoy running trains?  If so, no DCC is needed.  Any DC locomotive ever built will operate out of the box.
If he wants to run multiple trains on DC, just divide one rail into blocks and wire the other back to the powerpack.  Put a double-throw-double-pole switch (available pre-made up in banks of four as Atlas Selectors for about $7 each), and you are ready to go forever.  Sure, you'll need a bunch of track feeder wires, but you will for DCC, too.  With sufficient blocks, the number of trains you can run is limited only by the number of throttles and passing tracks you have.

There is a substantial difference in price between DC and DCC locomotives and control systems.  The DCC system gives you more "bells and whistles" (literally).  If a person really goes in for DCC, the starter E-Z Command system may be found to be inadequate.  On the other hand, if the person is happy with DC control, he may wish to spend his money on additional trains or layout instead of on DCC control systems or receiver-equipped locos.

Or, he may find DC operation suits him just fine.  There is nothing in the DC only set that will deny him the experience of model railroading.  Give him a taste of DC and let him decide later for himself.

Les