News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Getting set to build a layout.

Started by Sasha, May 23, 2012, 02:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sasha

Trying to decide whether to use 3/4" MDF or 3/4" high grade plywood for my layout.  What are the advantages either way?  Sound dampening?  Longest-lasting flat surface?

Thanks!

Doneldon

Sasha-

The pros and cons are about what you probably know already. MDF is cheaper and some will say a little more stable (I haven't had that experience). High-grade plywood is stronger and may give you a better surface to work from. Lots of folks use birch cabinet plywood for its strength and quality.

I'm not so sure that you need 3/4" material, however. Five-eighths inch or even half inch should be fine if you have adequate framing and bracing. Also, you might want to consider using two-inch thick extruded foam insulation for your base, assuming you are talking about a table surface rather than a cooke cutter layout or one which is open except for the subroadbed. Foam makes an excellent surface, is lightweight, is afforable, is easy to work with and allows you to put some features below track level f you want to, things like streams or trackside ditches.

Good luck with your new pike.

-- D

the Bach-man

Dear Sasha,
We recently used MDF beadboard in an addition to our home.  It's really tough on saw blades, the dust lasts for weeks and is bad to breath, it's heavy, and it absorbs water like a sponge.
I would use plywood!
Have fun!
the Bach-man