News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Im new at this

Started by oldvet, May 26, 2012, 07:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldvet

I am very interested in getting into this hobby. But Im unclear on what they mean by 0-6-0 or 4-8-4 when purchasing a locomotive. Can anyone help?

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

0-6-0 and 4-8-4 are 2 different types of steam engines made by bachmann. The 0-6-0 is available in 2 variations, an 0-6-0 tender engine in the standard line and an 0-6-0 saddle tank in the spectrum line. The 4-8-4 is available in many versions. A Southern Pacific GS-4, a Santa Fe version and an Norfolk and Western version used to made in the spectrum line but is no longer available but can still be found on the internet or if your local hobby shop has a few in stock.

RAM

Welcome oldvet.  One thing to remember is to start small.  If you want steam, the Alco 2-6-0, or the 2-8-0 or 4-6-0s are a good choice.  For diesels the alco S4 is good. 

Doneldon

ov-

From one ov to another ...

There's a lot of great information at the web site for the National Model Railroad Association and a free online magazine, Model Railroad Hobbyist or something like that. I'm sure you'll find it with a google search.

Welcome to model railroading and this discussion board. I assure you that you can have as much fun with model railroading as you want. There really are a ton of different aspects to the hobby so you're sure to find something which interests you.
                                                                                    -- D

Jerrys HO

oldvet,

To answer your question,
0-6-0 means --- no pilot wheels-6 drive wheels- no trailing wheels.
4-8-4 means---- 4 pilot wheels-8 drive wheels-4trailing wheels.

To add to Hunt's link:
http://www.railway-technical.com/st-clasif.shtml

Jerry

Limey

Hi old vet,
                  Yes it is a bit confusing when you first get started in this hobby and some of us forget we were in your shoes once.

The numbers you refer to apply only to steam locomotives, and refer to the numbers of wheels and the arrangement of them under the locomotive.

To start with the  4-8-4 has 4 relatively small wheels in the front ( 2 each side)
they are mounted on a movable part of the loco called the PILOT.
         Next we have 8 large driving wheels ( 4 each side )
         and lastly 4 more smaller wheels ( 2 each side ) on another movable part called the Trailing Truck. This is usually under the cab.

As for the 0-6-0  it is a much smaller loco and does not have the Pilot or the Trailing Truck just the 6 large driving wheels.

Hope this helps.  From another once very confused old vet.

Regards, Limey.

oldvet

Thanks everyone for your help. My dad was gave me his train set and I figure I need some upgrading.

So if im going to purchase a diesel loco. then I dont need to worry about 0-6-0 or another set of numbers. Just the steam loco?

Pacific Northern

Quote from: Limey on May 29, 2012, 09:56:03 AM
Hi old vet,
                  Yes it is a bit confusing when you first get started in this hobby and some of us forget we were in your shoes once.

The numbers you refer to apply only to steam locomotives, and refer to the numbers of wheels and the arrangement of them under the locomotive.

To start with the  4-8-4 has 4 relatively small wheels in the front ( 2 each side)
they are mounted on a movable part of the loco called the PILOT.
         Next we have 8 large driving wheels ( 4 each side )
         and lastly 4 more smaller wheels ( 2 each side ) on another movable part called the Trailing Truck. This is usually under the cab.

As for the 0-6-0  it is a much smaller loco and does not have the Pilot or the Trailing Truck just the 6 large driving wheels.

Hope this helps.  From another once very confused old vet.

Regards, Limey.

Since when is the pilot of a locomotive moveable?
Pacific Northern

Doneldon

PacNo-

I think Limey left out the word truck. For clarity, that front unpowered set of wheels on a steam locomotive is a pilot truck. The pilot is actually the fixed metal structure on the front of a steam locomotive which is designed to knock things off of the track or provide a place for switchmen and brakemen to ride (standing). Sometimes it's called (horrors!!!) the cowcatcher.

-- D