News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Making a rail way crossing

Started by bigjoe11a, July 10, 2012, 12:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjoe11a

because of the size of the layout. I been trying to come up with an idea to make a rail way crossing. I attached a image showing where it needs to go. The old Tyco track I was using made some changes when I changed over to Bachmann track. I was thinking about a bridge. How ever I would for it to reach out on both sides too far taking up too much room. and I was hoping some one here would have some ideas.

Joe

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?kmy03e1coeedd33

Doneldon

joe-

It's going to be difficult to make your crossing look good with the rerailers right there. It would probably work OK if they were both right on the point where the road crosses but that's obviously not possible with the road where it is. It would be somewhat better if you could move the road and one rerailer so everything lines up. Then you can build up the area with dry material (wood or foam) and make it look like a timber crossing. If you remove the rerailers you can make either a timber crossing or build it all up with plaster or wood putty (my choice) and paint it to resemble a paved crossing, either concrete or asphalt.
                                                                                                                    -- D

bigjoe11a

Thanks Don, How ever the rerailers can be moved to another location on the track. How ever the track it self can't be moves because the track is all connected together using switches so I won't be able to line it up right. The room I'm using is not that big. I only have a 6' 1/2" x 4' layout. so lining them up I won't be able to do.

I can use foam to build up around the track. The problem is that how would I build it up in side the track. I didn't want to have to buy some thing that I would have to mix up. Sense I never use that before. and I didn't want to screw the track up. If I use the rerailers. I won't have to build them up in side the track. I mite have to send you a photo of the complete layout so you can get a better idea on what's going on.

Joe

Jerrys HO

bj,

You can put a thin piece of styrene on the inside rails and use wood putty as D stated or I use modeling putty. Never used wood putty but I would assume they will both give the same effect. After the putty dries remove the styrene strips and you will have enough room for the wheel flanges to go thru. On the outside rail you can putty to the rail where I use an exacto knife to score a grove right next to the rail. Then paint to whatever you desire.

Jerry

NarrowMinded

Just a Quick tip about making the crossings, I use styrene as well for keeping wheel groove which works great, the TIP is to rub a piece of candle  on the inside of the styrene, the wax helps keep glues and putty's from sticking to it when you pull it out.

NM-Jeff

bigjoe11a

Sorry I haven't been able to get back with every one. This is what I'm going to do. I can add a 3" pc of track to the in side track. This should put the rerailer for the in side track to match up with the old road I added using the old track. Then I have to build up some how using foam. I'm not sure how to do this in foam sense it's the only thing I have available to use. The problem is getting it to look like a road. I didn't want to have to spend more money for a mix of some kind to add to it to get it to look right. I have to use what I have.

Joe

Doneldon

Quote from: bigjoe11a on July 14, 2012, 06:33:15 PM
I'm not sure how to do this in foam sense it's the only thing I have available to use. The problem is getting it to look like a road. I didn't want to have to spend more money for a mix of some kind to add to it to get it to look right. I have to use what I have.

joe-

By foam we mean solid material (styrofoam or foam insulation board), not the liquid expanding foam in cans. Use the foam to build up to just short of your railhead. Then paint it to look like concrete. Or, if you have styrofoam (open cell) material or you want a wooden crossing, build it up to about the bottom of the web of your rail and then either apply spackle for concrete or model lumber (bass wood is far superior to balsa) up to almost your rail head. Paint the spackle or use liquid shoe polish to represent creosote for a wooden crossing. Black shoe polish will look like a fresh installation; brown will look like it's been there for a while.
                                                                                                             -- D

bigjoe11a

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Jerrys HO on July 10, 2012, 06:57:23 PM
bj,

You can put a thin piece of styrene on the inside rails and use wood putty as D stated or I use modeling putty. Never used wood putty but I would assume they will both give the same effect. After the putty dries remove the styrene strips and you will have enough room for the wheel flanges to go thru. On the outside rail you can putty to the rail where I use an exacto knife to score a grove right next to the rail. Then paint to whatever you desire.

Jerry

Hi! Jerry,
   Can you give me an idea on what kind of modeling putty you use. Like a Brand name and so on. I was looking on ebay and there are so many kinds and types I don't know what to buy.

Joe

Jerrys HO

joe

I use Squadron Product's white putty. You can tint it with a little black or a lot to get to the color of road you wish.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-PUTTY-Squadron-Products-MMD-Tube-9060-NEW-/400030676298#ht_1425wt_909

Jerry

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 06, 2012, 06:29:10 PM
joe

I use Squadron Product's white putty. You can tint it with a little black or a lot to get to the color of road you wish.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-PUTTY-Squadron-Products-MMD-Tube-9060-NEW-/400030676298#ht_1425wt_909

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I just ordered 2 tubes.

Doneldon

joe-

Plain old automotive Bondo products are excelent for road and other built
up surfaces, too, and much cheaper than squadron putty.
                                                                                                    -- D

bigjoe11a

Quote from: Doneldon on August 06, 2012, 08:01:43 PM
joe-

Plain old automotive Bondo products are excelent for road and other built
up surfaces, too, and much cheaper than squadron putty.
                                                                                                    -- D

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

bigjoe11a

Quote from: bigjoe11a on August 06, 2012, 07:53:38 PM
Quote from: Jerrys HO on August 06, 2012, 06:29:10 PM
joe

Jerry

Thanks Jerry. I just ordered 2 tubes.

Hi! Jerry, Now I have a bigger problem. I just got the putty today. Yes I know it was running real late. How ever I applied the 1st coat to my Installation Board and it melted the Foam. Now I have 2 holes in my Installation Foam. Any ideas.

Joe

Doneldon

bj-

That's no good! Always check to make sure that non-model railroad products are plastic safe, whether glues, paints, lubricants or fillers. I'm sorry that those of us who steered you to using a filler material didn't mention that. But I'd have thought the Squadron putty would be okay.

You can use spackle to fill the hole or just cover it with a piece of plaster cloth over a crumpled newspaper. Two layers of plaster cloth are a lot stronger than one. Put your second piece down at a 45o angle to the first.
                                                                                                  -- D