Bachmann stainless steel indoor track - pleasently surprised

Started by barrister2u, May 29, 2012, 06:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barrister2u

I'm having some work done in my yard and am unable to run trains, so I recently purchased some of the Bachmann stainless steel inside track and was able to run LGB, Maerklin and the Big Haulers. Everything ran well. No issues. The track did not separate on the floor. Conductivity was good. I am pleased.

Mark

JerryB

Mark:

Great that you are able to substitute the Bachmann track and continue having fun while your yard is being worked on!

HOWEVER: Bachmann's steel track is definitely not "stainless steel." It is plain old steel, and will quickly rust if used in the great outdoors or in a wet environment. Making a post where you call it "stainless steel" could have the unfortunate result of getting someone to purchase it with the wrong expectation.

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Chuck N

Mark:

I agree with Jerry, but if you have any question as to whether or not he is correct, see if a magnet will stick to your track.  Regular steel is magnetic and will hold a magnet.  Most stainless steel will not attract a magnet.  If the magnet falls off it is stainless, if it sticks it is steel and will rust if left in a damp environment.

Chuck

barrister2u

I agree it is regular steel. But, I run it only indoors. So, no issues. Thanks for the info. Mark