It's July 29th/NMRA National Convention - Any New On30 Announcements?

Started by Kevin S., July 29, 2012, 07:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin S.

Mr. Bachmann,

Usually y'all have something to announce in terms of new products at the NMRA National Convention.

Any news you can share with us?

Thanks!

Cheese Thief

It's Friday  ;D  Hopefully, some kind soul will post an update today.

ebtnut

The train show usually opens at noon for the NMRA members, and later in the afternoon for the general public.  Hopefully we'll get some intel later today.

max (uk)

Model Railroader have posted their preliminary report.

http://mrr.trains.com/en/News%20and%20Reviews/New%20Products/2012/08/2012%20National%20Train%20Show%20preliminary%20report.aspx

I wont say what products are in the post in case anyone wants to wait for the official report.

I can say the first item disappoints me a little, but I may still get one.

I think the second item will have alot of potential.

Max

Skarloey Railway

Without seeming churlish, I think the large scalers are going to very pleased and surprised to have got, basically, what they wanted, while the On30 scalers are scratching their heads a little thinking, hmm, it's nice but not quite what I had in mind. The 18' cars are obviously going to appeal to many but are not that disimilar from what are offered by a number of kit manufacturers.

That said, I can see the new loco fitting in nicely with the 2-8-0, os frame 4-4-0 and the mallet.

Cheese Thief

Not to detract from Bachmanns new items...  I do like the new Loco though.  I also
like where Atlas is going with some of their O-scale buildings.  Lot's of kitbashing opportunity.

ebtnut

I think the 2-4-4-2 will do nicely - a bit more "compact" than the 2-6-6-2.  For those who don't know, Baldwin did have a 2-4-4-2 design and built a couple of standard gauge locos.    The remains of one of them are still extant out in Washington State. I suspect the model's prototype is from an export loco.  And I see the Heisler is now advertised for October delivery (finally).  But the 18' cars just don't do it for me. 

Lemurien

rayport

Wow, exciting loco news. Think the prototype was from the Mad River line?

fm_tx

I'm disappointed.  The 2-4-4-2 is cute, but too odd and too much like the 2-6-6-2....I would have rather seen a DSP&P Mason Bogie.  I probably won't be buying any of the 2-4-4-2's.  The new cars are welcome, and I will probably get a few from The Favorite Spot after the prices calm down, but I can't say I'm really excited about them.  I was excited when I saw the C-19 consolidation, but then saw it is large scale and not On30....

Paul

railtwister

I would like to see a picture of the new 2-4-4-2 next to one of the 2-6-6-2's for a size comparison. Do you suppose it could be a factory kitbash from 2-6-6-2 parts (not that there's anything wrong with that)?

The real shocker, aside from the sticker shock from the prices (especially on those 18' shorty freight cars), is the delivery schedule for the 2-4-4-2 as listed on the Bachmann new product announcement: <http://www.bachmanntrains.com/NMRA_2012.pdf> . If true, it will certainly be a first!

I'm not sure it is to be believed, but it also says the Heisler will ship October 2012...

Bill in FtL

Skarloey Railway

re the price of the 18' cars, you did all see that there are two of them per box.

The pics of the new mallet appear to be finished production models, as opposed to prototype pictures or mock ups, suggesting they are close to delivery. The freight cars look to be at an earlier stage of production. The new mallet, to my eyes, is much prettier than the 2-6-6-2 which was awfully 'skinny'but nothing like either of them ran on the RRs that I like and for that reason, I still hanker after an 1870s/1880s Baldwin 4-4-0 and 2-6-0 like they have/had in large scale.

Hamish K

The 18 foot freight car range pleases me, I have a need for smaller cars. Thank you Bachmann. However I am still waiting for an excursion car!

I have no real need for the 2-4-4-2, I was hoping for a smallish 2-6-2, either a Sandy River tender or a tank loco (or preferably both). I suspect either of these might have sold better than another articulated, but we shall see.

It is good to see Bachmann continuing to introduce new On30 items, even if all my wishes were not fulfilled.

Hamish