News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

How do you simulate a coasting steam engine?

Started by I Morris1, August 03, 2012, 06:12:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Morris1

Hi
I have just purchased a Russian 2-10-0 with on board DCC/sound and I noticed that function 8 can be used to mute the sounds. Is there a way to adjust the mute function so that only the exhaust chuff is turned off, leaving all the other sounds active? This would simulate a coasting engine with its regulator shut.

Thanks

Eman627

I'm afraid not, but you may be able to adjust the chuff volume to acquire the desired effect. That, momentum, and soundtraxx's dynamic digital exhaust.

I Morris1

That's unfortunate, maybe the soundtrax could look into this issue. It's very odd listening to a train running down grade and still chuffing away like it's going uphill.

Thanks

max (uk)

All Soundtraxx sound decoders (even the 'cut down' ones fitted in the Bachmann engines) can be programmed to respond to how the throttle is changed and how much load the loco is under. This means you can shut the throttle off and the engine will still be moving, but coasting, just like a real engine.

Hopefully this manual from Soundtraxx will have all the info you will need to achieve the effect you are looking for. Look at page 50-56.

http://www.soundtraxx.com/manuals/tsunamisteam_users_guide.pdf

I hope this helps.

Max

I Morris1

The Soundtraxx manual is useful, I'm having some good results playing with the CV's in advanced programing.

Thanks Max

rogertra

Quote from: I Morris1 on August 03, 2012, 10:51:21 AM
That's unfortunate, maybe the soundtrax could look into this issue. It's very odd listening to a train running down grade and still chuffing away like it's going uphill.

Thanks

My friend has a fleet of UK steam with sound and every one of the sound decoders he uses responds to the throttle setting.  If you throttle back, the sound automatically goes into a coasting mode.  I gather it's standard on UK sound decoders.  Ditto for diesels I gather.