News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Figure 8 & Auto Reverse

Started by franzman, September 21, 2012, 07:45:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jward

jerry,

yes, i am well aware that the bachmann crossovers require surgery to use with dc block control.     i was referring to using the center section with the 90 degree crossing as the reversing section.   as you probably know, the recommended practice with dcc is to make the reversing section longer than the longest train, to avoid the possibility of wheels bridging the gaps on both ends of the section at the same time.   dcc circuit breakers trip much more easily than those in dc power packs, so the problem of spanning the gap and shutting down the whole layout doesn't really apply there.

so, with dc, the reversing sections can be much shorter.  in reality, as long as you keep the total length of the locomotives less than the length of the reversing section, everything will work well.   individual wheels crossing the gaps won't trip the circuit breakers the way they do on dcc.

of course, using plastic wheels on all your cars will also allow the use of shorter reversing sections on dcc, but your track will be much dirtier.   and dcc locomotives require clean track to avoid interruption of the dcc signal. and possible loss of control.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

jeff
Quotei was referring to using the center section with the 90 degree crossing as the reversing section.   as you probably know, the recommended practice with dcc is to make the reversing section longer than the longest train, to avoid the possibility of wheels bridging the gaps on both ends of the section at the same time.

If you would have read my reply thru you would have noticed I quoted that it would be about 18"on my diagram. I like the way yours is designed. I also did not think about running plastic wheels. Although plastic is not my choice some do run plastic with no problem's. As far as track cleaning this should be done on a regular basis with or without plastic wheels.

You have to admit I have come along way since I joined this forum.

jerry

jward

yes you have.   you asked questions and it shows.   
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

franzman

Jeffrey & Jerry -
It worked!!!  Thanks to both of you for your help.
We did the figure 8, and only had to use one auto reverser and the 4 pieces of gap track, and it worked!!!
We were not able to use a 90 degree crossing however, we used a 60 degree and it was fine.  Did have to add in a couple of short pieces to make it.  We elongated the reverse loop with a piece of straight track on each side since we had room for it, but otherwise we followed your instructions.
It was really awesome of you guys to go to all the effort that you did to help us.  We could not have done it without you.
Thank you so much!!!
Joyce

Jerrys HO

Joyce
glad to see it all worked out for you. did you keep it with two ovals or just the one like jeff drew? just wondering if you used the crossovers or not.

jerry

franzman

Jerry - I used Jeffrey's drawing.
But you were the one who advised me where to hook up the reversing module, and that I should only need one.  And you were right!  We were so pleased when we hooked it all up, and first there were no shorts, and then we could actually run a train.  It's been a long process.
Thanks again for your help.
Joyce