News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Transformers

Started by coolwaldo, September 27, 2012, 05:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coolwaldo

I have just got back into toy trains(3rail). I will be running long passenger trains. I have become a big fan of Williams. What brand of transformer would be the best to use. I will be mixing in Lionel and MTH. And I want to go the conventional route. The 80 watt transformers seem to lack enough power. Thanks for any help.
Be happy. Play with your trains.

Jerrys HO

cw
back when i did o scale lionel zw's were my choice.  you mioght try putting this on the williams forum to get more answers.

jerry

never mind i see you did. this is why it is not a good idea to post multiple posts.

Len

If 80 watts isn't enough, check out the MTH Z-4000. It looks something like the old Lionel ZW, puts out around 400 watts, will run two trains, has fixed 10V (for 12V building lights, makes them last longer) and 14V (for operating accessories) outputs, a built in circuit breaker, and digital volt and amp meters for the track power. And everything is built in, not a lot of cord clutter with external power 'bricks' like the modern Lionel ZW.

Or you could look for a refurbished post-war ZW. If you go the ZW route use in-line fuse holders with 10amp cartridge fuses in them for the center rail power connection. Otherwise your modern locos could end up being very expensive fuses to protect the ZW.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

phillyreading

Another possible transformer is the MTH Z-1000, 100 watts and has one accessory output, won't be near as much as a Z-4000.

On the post-war ZW's and KW's don't forget to add a TVS(transient voltage suppressor) or you may fry your new electronics. Circuit breakers are a better choice than fuses because you don't have to replace it every time it pops off. You can get 7 or 8 amp circuit breakers, might be a special order but they are made!

Lee F.