News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Amtrak NY to Syracuse Ny

Started by Joe323, October 04, 2012, 01:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe323

Next week I am taking Amtraks Empire Service from New York City to Syracuse NY.

This is my first train trip in many years and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience traveling this route as to what to expect.  I read some reviews of Amtrak in general and there were a lot of complaints about dirty rest rooms and sometimes rude employees. So I thought I would ask here since we are all about trains.

Desertdweller

I expect you will have an enjoyable trip.

I traveled that route several years ago, as part of a longer trip on the "Lakeshore Limited".

My last AMTRAK trip was two years ago on the "Sunset Limited".

I have also ridden Amfleet equipment in the Northeast.  The Lakeshore Limited used Viewliner equipment, the Sunset used Superliners.

All three train types used clean, functional equipment, kept in good condition.  The crews were friendly and helpful.

And the food was good!

Les

Johnson Bar Jeff

I took the "Lakeshore" overnight to Chicago in the summer of 2011. The crew was friendly and helpful, the food in the dining car was delicious--but the toilets did not work in my sleeper (not a one of them in the entire car).

phillyreading

I took the Silver Meteor from West Palm Beach FL to Jacksonville FL, the ride was nice and one of the coach cars had a toilet that had no water.
Be careful if you order the special at lunch, it may not be cooked all the way through.
Don't know if I should mention this or not, but I will, there is no rental car facility close by to the Jacksonville FL train station.

This might be off track but people might need this info.
Also checked on the route to Atlanta GA, not good, it would take over 36 hours to go from West Palm Beach FL to Atlanta GA, but close to 9 hours to Savanna GA.
WHY? They have to go to Washington DC then down to Atlanta GA. ???

I would rather travel by train than by air.

Lee F.

Doneldon

Je-

In Re: phillyreading - Many car rental agencies will pick you up. Enterprise always will. Or take a taxi.

-- D

phillyreading

Quote from: Doneldon on October 05, 2012, 12:15:08 AM
Je-

In Re: phillyreading - Many car rental agencies will pick you up. Enterprise always will. Or take a taxi.

-- D

Be sure to get there during the regular Enterprize Rental car company hours!!

Take a taxi? Can you say $55.00 for five miles??

Lee F.

Doneldon

Quote from: phillyreading on October 06, 2012, 07:05:30 PM
Take a taxi? Can you say $55.00 for five miles??

Of course I can say it, but I can't believe it. That's several times higher than tai rates I've encountered anywhere in the world. I apologize for trying to suggest a solution to your problem.

Joe323

Actually the Taxicabs in Jacksonville are expensive but $55 is a bit much.

phillyreading

Maybe I over-estimated a little on the taxi, but they are expensive in larger Florida cities. I don't mean to be harsh on anybody, but I hate taxi cabs.
Anyway the Amtrak train was 35 minutes late to Jacksonville FL, 5:35 pm, and the rental car company closed at 6:30 pm.

Lee F.

Joe323

Ok I am at the station. Waiting to board

Joe323

OK I give Amtrak a B + for service the train is cetainly a lot less hassle than flying the view is great he seats are comfy and train was on time. Only negatives were the food served is lousy and I wish they had a quiet car.

richg

Have not taken a train but when I fly, I buy a sandwich or two before entering the plane. I also take my MP4 player with plenty of music, couple pair of ear buds and my tablet.

Rich

RAM

It was a good thing you were not on the Heartland Flyer this past weekend.  It had extra cars dues to the Okla. Texas football game.   So it was 25 minutes late leaving Fort Worth TX. on a 4 hour trip to Oklahoma City.  It was only 15 minutes late after making its first station stop.  Going into Oklahoma it was given a slow order because of heavy rain.  Then it had to stop because of a tree was down on the tracks. A BNSF crew was called to remove the tree.  Than it was hit by lightning disabling the locomotive.  A fright  locomotive from BNSF had to be called to power the train.  This locomotive may have had a top speed of 60 miles an hour.  After making the station stop at Norman OK. The crew went dead about a miles from the station.  They had to wait for a new crew to come and take over the train.  It should have arrived in Okla. City at 9:39 PM but got there at 5:25 AM.

Joe323

Quote from: RAM on October 17, 2012, 03:11:28 PM
It was a good thing you were not on the Heartland Flyer this past weekend.  It had extra cars dues to the Okla. Texas football game.   So it was 25 minutes late leaving Fort Worth TX. on a 4 hour trip to Oklahoma City.  It was only 15 minutes late after making its first station stop.  Going into Oklahoma it was given a slow order because of heavy rain.  Then it had to stop because of a tree was down on the tracks. A BNSF crew was called to remove the tree.  Than it was hit by lightning disabling the locomotive.  A fright  locomotive from BNSF had to be called to power the train.  This locomotive may have had a top speed of 60 miles an hour.  After making the station stop at Norman OK. The crew went dead about a miles from the station.  They had to wait for a new crew to come and take over the train.  It should have arrived in Okla. City at 9:39 PM but got there at 5:25 AM.

Sounds like the train trip from hell.  Hope the game was good.

Quote from: richg on October 16, 2012, 12:48:21 PM
Have not taken a train but when I fly, I buy a sandwich or two before entering the plane. I also take my MP4 player with plenty of music, couple pair of ear buds and my tablet.

Rich

Yes I learned that one Fortunately I slept most of the way home