News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bridges and ez track

Started by Rorysm, November 11, 2012, 04:36:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rorysm

I plan to use ez track but want a small bridge.  What bridge will work with ez track, I am looking for a small flat bridge to go over a small stream cut below the bridge out of the foam sheet it all sits on.

rbryce1

I have successfully used a black, Atlas trestle.  It comes with track installed and the ties molded into the bridge.  I removed the rails and set the Bachmann track over it and it works and looks fine.

Layout is still under construction, very early stages, but track work is complete and working well.

jward

i'd use regular track for the bridge, with ez track on either side. there are some nice bridge kits out there for small spans.

http://www.blairline.com/bridges/

Atlas makes some nice bridges which are drop in replacements for a standard 9" straight track.
http://www.atlasrr.com/Trackmisc/honaccessories.htm

bachmann used to make a nice 9" truss bridge, but it's been discontinued.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Desertdweller

Actual railroads have two ways of handling this.

The first method is called "ballasted deck bridge".  This is just what it sounds like: the track ballast is continued all the way across the bridge, like in the picture in the previous post.

The other option is called "open deck bridge".  The ballast is not continued across the bridge.  The rails are supported on what is called "bridge ties".  These ties are affixed to the deck of the bridge, and typically have nothing between them.  When crossing an open deck bridge, you can look between the ties and see down to the surface you are bridging.

Typically, both types can be found on the same railroad, but moveable bridges use the open deck design.

Of course, when using an open deck design, it will need to be raised so the rails connect smoothly with the ballasted track on both ends.

Les

jonathan

I did something similar to rbryce.  This is EZ  track with a Model Power bridge.  I cut the bridge, legthways, across the bottom.  Then just wrapped the bridge around the track:

That's an old picture, but the bridge is still there.  It was suppose to be temporary, 'til I thought of a better track/bridge combination for this area.  Never got a 'rountuit' to finish the job.

Regards,

Jonathan

rbryce1

Jonathan,

Here is the solution to your problem, as you said you could not finish because you could not get a round tuit.

One round tuit.  Now that you have a round tuit, you can get back to work!

Don't worry, no thanks necessary.  :D

jonathan

Speaking of rountuits, here's another bridge project I fiddle with occasionally.

This is an old Atlas bridge kit that uses code 100 track.  I transitioned from EZ track to standard code 100 flex track going to the bridge.  The hilly part is the EZ track:

from another angle:

Up close, if you can see the solder joint, this is where the EZ track meets the 'regular' track:

So, it's easy to use a different kind of track to install any kind of bridge you want. Just to get your creative juices flowing...

Anyway, here's a few gratuitous shots of this bridge project.  Notice, I'm adding a few lights for dramatic affect. Someday, the scenery will be built up to the bridge abutments.  ;)

Regards,

Jonathan

Terry Toenges

Here's what I did when I wanted an EZ Track curve on a bridge.

Lay the EZ on the balsa and measure and cut two pieces of balsa the same size. Lay the EZ on one piece of balsa and cut on both sides of the EZ. Take the other piece of balsa lay the EZ on it.  Use the two side pieces from the cut one to butt up against the roadbed. That way the roadbed doesn't stick up so high. You can also slide the track in and out of the bridge by doing it this way.
I think those are Atlas sides that I used on it.
Feel like a Mogul.

Jerrys HO

Here's a couple with EZ track and 3 different Atlas bridges.

Jerry

stationmaster12

Love that last layout! Don't mind if I copy the track plan! LOL
Keep God first in all that you do.

Jerrys HO

Quote from: stationmaster12 on October 25, 2014, 08:05:28 PM
Love that last layout! Don't mind if I copy the track plan! LOL

Thanks SM12, go right ahead. I doubt I have any plans left but I will check and PM you if I do.
The layout has changed considerably.

Jerry

Trainman203

Gotta watch out with raised roadbed track in a through truss bridge that wasn't intended for it ..... the remaining height between rail and top cross members may be too low. :o

wiley209

I remember from 1978 until 1996, Bachmann had a blinking bridge and trestle set for HO-gauge...

The track was built right onto the bridge. First offered with brass rails, then with steel. No nickel-silver version was made, unfortunately. It could be used on an E-Z Track layout by connecting it to two sections with the connector-tabs removed.