do i need 0, 1, or 2 reverse loops?

Started by VidGuy069, January 28, 2013, 11:07:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VidGuy069

Hello all;
I have a situation and need help.

Situation:  I have mt DCC equipped HO motorized TT.  on 'track' 4 I have 1 3in. piece and 4 15in. pieces.  attached to the curves is a #5 switch.  I have standard switches on either end of the loop that feed into the #5 switch.

I had everyting connected, sans reverse loop module, and had a short.  After running a few tests I decided I need at least one Reverse loop. 

Do I need one at BOTH ends of the #5 switch?

Thanks to all in advance.
VidGuy
Courage is being the only one who knows you're afraid.

jward

it would greatly help if you'd post a photo or drawing of the track arrangement.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

NarrowMinded

You will need atleast one reversing module if you want continuos running without stopping or or trying to throw a toggle switch every time your train enters and leaves the loop.

Due to your question and the fact you are getting shorts, I have to ask if you put the gaps in the loops that are required to make a return loop work with or without a module.

NM-Jeff

VidGuy069

jward and NM;
I hope the 'drawing' at the following link does not confuse you even more.

The red line is the #5 switch.

http://diversionsonline.org/doc1-pdf.pdf

And yes you'll need a pdf reader to view it.
Miscellaneous info.  Total layout is DCC using EZ track.

VidGuy

NarrowMinded

404 Error File Not Found
The page you are looking for might have been removed,
had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

in the mean time i found this old topic

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,13988.msg112599.html#msg112599

VidGuy069

Ooops, my bad.

the hopefully correct link is

http://diversionsonline.org/doc1_pdf.pdf  Bloody underscore.

NarrowMinded

Let me ask this, your drawing is a little rough,

Are your standard switches a left and a right?

OR... are they both the same?

Does your track just form a loop with a longer route when you Go through the switches?

Or.. do you have the track set up so if you take the diverging route your train will end up going the opposite direction on the outside loop?

I ask this because if your track is set up so you just have a long route around the loop and a short route with the number #5 switch that turns out to the turn table you should not need a module at all.

Are you sure you have the turn table connected to the right spot, I don't have one but I seem to recall reading posts that dealt with the turn table and it needing to have a specific one of its tracks be the feed track. or a separate feed all together.

I could be wrong... but I would double check the turn table instructions
NM-Jeff

NarrowMinded

DOH! I think I see what you are doing...

I had not considered the #5 being turned around so when a train leaves your turntable it can go either right and go Clockwise around the loop or go left and go counter clockwise....

Your right you need a module for this you need to gap the rails on the #5 turnout

both tracks leading left and right out ot the TT will have to be gapped, then use the module to feed power to the TT side of the switch.

NM-Jeff

jward

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA