News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

What Toggle type to use

Started by glsummers, August 15, 2007, 11:20:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glsummers

On my layout I have some places were I need to use a toggle switch to operate my atlas and peco switches. What kind do you use and how do you hook them up. I know you have to use a momentary type toggle. I am just not sure which wire goes to which post. How do you get the power to a toggle switch. To atlas switch boxes it is easy, but how do you do the same thing to a toggle switch. I know there are professonals out there that can help. Thanks a lot for your help. Larry

Jim Banner

The type of toggle switch you want is a Single Pole Double Throw Centre Off, Both Momentary.  This is often listed as a (ON)-OFF-(ON) type toggle switch, where the brackets () around the ON mean that it is a momentary, spring return position.

One wire from your transformer goes to the centre screw of all your Atlas or Bachmann turnouts and to one end of each of the coils of your Peco switch machines.  The other wire from your transformer goes to the centre connection of all your toggle switches.  This leaves two free connections on each switch machine and two free connections on each toggle switch.  Connect one of the free connections of one switch machine to one of the free connection on the toggle switch that is to control it.  Connect the remaining free connection of the machine to the remaining free connection of its toggle switch.  Repeat for all the remaining switch machines and toggle switches.

An alternative is to use pairs of Normally Open push buttons in place of the toggle switches.  These are cheaper and often easier to position on a control panel than toggle switches.  I am assuming here that you will be mounting the turnout controls on a control panel that shows a schematic diagram of your layout, with the turnout controls mounted at the appropriate turnouts on the diagram.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

glsummers

Jim that is exactly what I want to do. Can you explain a little further how and what type of push buttons you are talking about? How are they wired compared to toggle switches? I hope everything is going well with you and is it as hot in Canada as it is in AL? Larry

Jim Banner

I use Normally Open push buttons.  These are the ones that do not carry any current unless you push on them.  The type I use mount in 1/4" holes and are held in place with a nut.  I buy them from a local electronics supplier.

You use these push buttons in pairs, one to turn the turnout to the left, the other to turn it to the right.  Wiring them is easy.  Just wire one connection of one of the buttons to one connection on the other.  These two connections together serve the same function as the centre connection of the toggle switches.  That is, they hook to one side of your transformer.  The unconnected ends of the push buttons are just like the end terminals of the toggle switch and connect to the switch motors the same way.

Not exactly hot up here.  We are already starting to cool off for winter, particularly the nights.  We had a frost warning last night, although it never got below 4 degrees.
Growing older is mandatory but growing up is optional.

WoundedBear

Quote from: Jim Banner on August 17, 2007, 01:29:33 AM

Not exactly hot up here.  We are already starting to cool off for winter, particularly the nights.  We had a frost warning last night, although it never got below 4 degrees.

There was frost on the grass in Ft. McMurray on Tuesday morning, Jim. :-[

Sid

glsummers

Thanks Jim,
Jim and Sid send some of that cool air down here. LOL. Larry