News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

NEW Climax Loco w/ continuous LOUD HISS?

Started by Cederstrand, February 07, 2013, 11:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cederstrand

Using a Digitrax DCS50. Loco is a brand new (HO) Bachmann Climax with DCC/Sound

Put the new Bachmann (HO) Climax loco on the ProgMode track and tried to ID the decoder. It kept coming up with [d nA] (note: checked my other locos on it, no problems reading their decoders) Then stuck the Climax on the regular track and it activates, but makes a constant LOUD HISS. The directional lights, whistle and forward/reverse all work. Though no bell. But that continuous, unending HISS is seriously LOUD??? Something isn't right.
???
How exactly can I fix this? Please keep in mind I am new to DCC and have only programmed loco numbers for choosing which one I want to run at a given time.

Thanks! Rob

ebtnut

I'll leave the decoder issue to the other DCC experts here.  But it sounds like the CV for the pop valve effect is "stuck".  You may have to go to the Soundtraxx site to track down which CV it is and adjust it once you get the decoder talking again.

Artfull Dodger

If you put the CD Rom that came with the engine in your computer, it will give you the actual decoder manual.  I would suggest doing a reset to factory default.  There is a CV that you set to a certain value, I think it was CV30 to value 2 on my On30 Climax but it could be different on yours.  A reset might get the decoder behaving again.  Kind fo like a computer it needs a reboot.  If not progress, I would contact Bachmann customer service  to see about returning for repair/replacement.   Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

Cederstrand

Thanks guys! Well, I studied the DVD and still couldn't get the Digitrax system to communicate with the decoder. However, before giving up completely, thought I would try it one last time on the mainline and take notes of exactly which functions did and didn't work. Well, as soon as I hit #4, the hiss went away. :-[ I didn't know all those sounds were not programmed to automatically turn on and off uopn starting and stopping the engine. Hey, even found the number for filling up at the water tank, which I then proceeded to do. Cool! Now if I can just figure out how to program the loco number from the factory setting #3 to the actual number on this loco #12, I'll be all set. Guess I need to get one of those "signal boosters" just to reprogram this one locomotives number. At least I know it works now.

Cheers! Rob

Thomas1911

I may be thinking of something else, but seems like I remember reading something about the need to put a resistor across the programming track when programming tsunami decoders with certain Digitrax systems.  Maybe someone can confirm this and, if so, provide a resistor value.

Thomas1911

Quote from: Hunt on February 08, 2013, 10:00:31 PM
Quote from: Thomas1911 on February 08, 2013, 09:19:03 PM
I may be thinking of something else, but seems like I remember reading something about the need to put a resistor across the programming track when programming tsunami decoders with certain Digitrax systems.  Maybe someone can confirm this and, if so, provide a resistor value.

Any resistor across the programming track is not an aid to successfully programming a Tsunami decoder using a Digitrax Zephyr.

However. . .

Programming a Bachmann decoder without sound using either the Digitrax Zephyr DCS 50 or the Zephyr Xtra DCS 51 requires a workaround when Digitrax error massage  d nd  is received.

Workaround: Lay a 1000 Ohm, ΒΌ watt resistor across the rails of the programming track.

Remove resistor when Bachmann decoder programming complete. If the resistor is old, clean the oxidation off the leads. Always work with a clean programming track.

Thanks for clearing that up, Hunt.  I remembered something about the resistor, but since I'm not a Digitrax user, I didn't bother to remember details.

Geared Steam

Quote from: Hunt on February 08, 2013, 10:49:43 PM
Cederstrand,

This not work for you,  then you need to add a Programming Track Booster, such as SoundTraxx
PTB-100.

I have the same system, I ended up having to use the PTB-100 booster, after I installed it, no programming issues.

WoundedBear

I use MRC's Prodigy Advanced Squared unit and also had to add the Digitrax PTB-100 into my system to program any of my Bachmann/Soundtraxx steamers.

Sid

bapguy

Since you have a Digitrax Zypher you might want to consider a PR3 and JMRI. I have a Digitrax DB150 and use the PR3 and Decoder Pro. This makes programming decoders real easy. If you go with the PR3 you need to find a good 18 volt power supply with correct plug in on it. Joe.

WTierce1

I have found out when using a tsunami always use the operations mode programming. It works every time unlike direct mode.
A fan of the Tennessee Valley Railroad

Limey

I have had similar probs. with the Climax and DCS50.  Although my Climax is non sound it came with a factory installed decoder.
I tried innumerable times to program it for #3000 but each time I got the error  d nd.  Then it seemed to clear up and seemed to accept that number but when I read it back it still showed 03.  Finally I programmed it for #300 instead of 3000 and it worked fine.  BTW. I find that the 1000 ohm. resistor MUST be put across the tracks BEFORE you go to Program Mode on the program track.