News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

ho set recommendation

Started by raz, February 08, 2013, 02:00:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artfull Dodger

I can also plug thefavoritespot, but I have all On30 from him.  I ditched HO scale as my eyesite isnt as good as it once was and I like narrow gauge trains.  On30 will run on HO scale track, highly recommend you check out Bachmann's sets.  They match the xmas village buildings very nicely scale wise if your into that kind of stuff.  Or you can go the whole backwoods logging or mining theme.  Good luck on whatever you decide to purchase.   Mike
Silly NT's.....I have Asperger's Syndrome!

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: TimR on February 11, 2013, 05:26:12 PM
(Defective merchandise is supposed to be returned through Bachmann, regardless of where you buy it new)
Quote from: mf5117 on February 12, 2013, 12:30:07 PM
asked if we could get a discount due to the wheels being off the caboose..... .. My wife did her magic and the manager said 65% off and we bought it $80.00 . I was still a little disappointed but to no avail there was a little sticker that said " wheel sets may come off during shipping " .......my wife is a Manager .
Glad you caught a deal 5517, but I hope that does not keep the hobby store manager from ordering more. That is one of the reasons companies like Bachmann prefer you going to them for warranty repair. It helps keep some of the bigger suppliers out of the return loop, profitable, and ordering more product for US to see and buy on a shelf rather than an order and a wait.

mf5117

We bought alot of supplies from Hobby Lobby , scenery , track , my MKT Plymoth , my accessory controller , Some of my HO and G scale buildings alot of my Bachmann rolling stock  . They always had a good selection of sets N HO O gauge and some G scale . Always good sales either on rolling stock or the scenery or the sets . It was really sad when they removed the train section . and just had the sets . Not only the trains but the Estes rockets , Revell models the science section to almost nothing . I don't think it was due to lack of interest but a Walmart across the Highway

I don't look at this as a warranty issue .The fact was we got a nice discount on a great product . And if the note about the wheels sets coming off the trucks has been an issue in shipment to the stores. And has been a problem with these sets then the buyer should have known that and the lack of communication to the managers is their fault then I wouldn't have got the discount . It was a matter of the wheel sets off the trucks . If the controller was defective or one of the 2 locomotives , then I see your point . And there was no lack of Bachmann products in that store .

utdave

Hobby Lobby  is where i got my frist dcc set   got it on sale for around $200  then bought the overland steam engine set  then found out i needed to change it to a dcc unit to run right.         i did not like the the cars  with plastic wheels  and was not impressed there.     but the outcome to come back to the hobby was the best thing for me to quit working all the time  i need to relax and just play.

Dave

TimR

Dave brings up a very good point about the wheelsets on most all cars that come in sets (and sometimes otherwise). One of the first upgrades I would recommend is upgrading to metal wheels. Bachmann carries two sizes for HO, part numbers 42903 and 42904 that will fit many if not all of the Bachmann cars. Metal wheels will help keep your trains running smoothly as the plastic wheels can contribute to dirty track sooner than metal. (In my opinion)

jbrock27

No, you are right Tim, plastic wheels get the track dirtier, faster.  I have them and can attest to it.

Dave, I would luv to quit working and play all day.  How does one get to do that before age 70 these days??
Keep Calm and Carry On

utdave

IM in my mid fifties and not married  yes i have to make time to play.   i have 4 rental homes  a full time job   2 old tractors 2 horses  5 cats and over a acre of land with old barn and one child still  living with me.  i make a evening with my grandson i try once a week to just be young again with him.  he loves my hot wheels track , my erthyl tractors which i have a large selection of and of course my trians my oldest hobby and my newest one.     i think i never grew up.   i do whish i had more time to clean out the hay loft of all my junk and remoldel it for my train layout thats like others on here   someday yes. for now i just keep my upstairs full of track on the old oak flooring.         

i have changed out wheelsets on many boxcars   even cleaned out the trucks with a cleanning tool that reams them  for my old tycos /bachmanns.   the most type of cars i own now are Bachmann silver series  cost is right and they look good and the run good.  i found that there passanger cars one of the best  stay on track easy to pull  tighter corners  and even go through switches nice.  thanks to that favoritespot place glad a bought alot of F7s before and now they dont have much of them.     now they come out with F7s with sound hope the same road names i allready have so i can just add a b unit with sound and use the old ones for just parts or ready to change shells if needed.    i worked most of my life a full time hotel engineering job and started 25 years ago and to this day remodeling homes to lease out  just a few more years and they will be payed off.  when that happens i do retire my full time job and have even more knowledge of trains and might even start a repair shop for them. 
Dave

Balrog21

I just saw the incline questions Raz...woodland scenics makes some awesome almost easy as eating cake, BUT there are some things to take into consideration before purchasing them....first I don't know how tall you want the final incline to be...woodland scenics makes two different types for a 4inch incline...one is 8 feet and one is 16...also depending on the amount of cars you're pulling as well...and remember what goes up must come down so if you choose the 8 you need 8 leading up and then 8 coming down...
this is just me personally after watching and observing my own layout...I prefere the 16 feet ones...it's not a strain on the engine unless you run the train at a very low and moderate speed....and coming down on a 8 feet incline the engine does gain momentum. so be wary of that...on my new layout I'm going to be doing a 16 lead in into a 4 inch rise and coming down on a 8 feet incline. But then again that's just me and I like to run long trains...if you remember watching my vids on youtube you can see the momentum the train gets coming down the slope. I need 4 inches as I'm doing an over under type thing on my layout...I haven't seen it done before so I'm treading into new water very soon!
But you my not want your inclines that tall at all. Just remember what you use to go up you must use to come down or problems will occur. Hope this helps!
Bal

bfelix

Rz I am using the Ez-Track on a 4 x 8 table.I currently have 2 ovals with two crossovers and getting ready to add some turnoffs. you can view my layout on youtube if your interested...

http://youtu.be/VuXigR_QGVk
My Ez-Track 4 x 8 HO Layout
http://youtu.be/VuXigR_QGVk

jward

regarding the use of grades and inclines, it is not absolutely necessary to use the same gradient on either side of a hill. my own layout has a 4% up one side, and a 3% down the other.

two rules of thumb: since the steepness of the incline drastically affects the pulling power of your locomotives, try to keep the percantage down. 4% is about the practical upper limit of steepness, or about 3/8" rise per standard section of track. at this grade, your locomotives will pull about 1/6 what they will pull on level track.

the second rule of thumb, in HO scale, is that you need at least 3" of vertical clearance anywhere a track bridges another.  3" rise at 4% equals 75" of run, on either side of the bridge point.  3% needs 100", and 2% needs 150"......those 3 gradients are the ones woodland scenicns makes as risers. plan for the length of run you have and use the appropriate inclines.

btw, if you use the layout planning software, anyrail, you can have the program set the gradient for you, and it will tell you the exact elevation above table level of each track joint.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Quoteregarding the use of grades and inclines, it is not absolutely necessary to use the same gradient on either side of a hill.

Jeff you are correct. I used a 3% on one side and a 4% on the other. Both were  stretched out by cutting them and adding blocks in to level ou different spots for an easier climb.

Balrog21

it's amazing what hides from the brain sometimes...must do this on the new layout!  ;D