News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Dropping the trucks on a S2/4

Started by Ted_Roy, February 12, 2013, 11:22:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted_Roy

I am in the process of converting a HO S2/4 to a On30 Mount Blue Center Cab.  To do this I need to mill off the cab weight at one end.  I have dissembled the chassis down to the trucks and metal frame, but I cannot figure out how to drop the trucks.  The exploded diagrams don't show an easy way either.

Thoughts?

Thank for the help in advance,

Ted.
Support your local Railway Museums!

Connecticut Trolley Museum

bapguy

On the diagram it shows a cover that snaps on to the topf the truck and holds the gear from the drive line in place. Can you get a screw driver in there to pop the covers off? It looks similar to the Athearn way of holding the trucks in place. It looks like you need to get a small flat blade on one side of the gear cover and twist it off. This mat be the way to do it. Joe 

Ted_Roy

That cover is easier said than done  :D  And I was hoping I wouldn't have to disturb the gear towers.

I just milled a Athearn SW1500, and the towers had tabs that needed to be squeezed in and the truck drops out.

Ted.
Support your local Railway Museums!

Connecticut Trolley Museum

jward

while i haven't taken my s4 apart, if they are like most bachmann diesels there is a bolster plate on top of the gearbox, above the worm gear. this plate fits into the metal frame, and is attatched to the truck with a screw. unlike an athearn, this piece doesn't pop out with a screwdriver. once the screw is removed the trucks should drop right out.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA