Best way to buy Bachmann UK Items in the US

Started by rquagan, February 20, 2013, 06:34:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rquagan

I have an interest in modeling railways from Britain. Can any one tell me the best way to buy Bachmann UK items here in the US. There appears to be almost no US dealers that specialize in this except Models11.com. Is it more cost effective to buy directly from online UK dealers?

1. Does anyone have experience buying directly from a major online UK dealer, like eHattons.com?
2. How does conversion from Pounds Sterling to $US work if you use a major credit card?
3. Is VAT, which I believe is included in all pricing deducted for overseas shipments.
4. What's the best parcel carrier? DHL or UPS?

Thanks ahead of time.
Rob Quagan

the Bach-man

Dear Rob,
Try:
models11.com
Tell Al the Bach-man sent you!
Have fun!
the Bach-man

bobwrgt

I have purchased over 200 items from the UK and have had no problems receiving in the US.
Ehattons is a good dealer and yes you should get a discount for the VAT. Vat will come off at checkout.
Personely i like the Hornby items over Bachmann in OO gauge. I have also purchased many Liliput, Roco, and Fleischmann items. Liliput is owned by Bachmann and the German HO engines are on par with the US Spectrum line.
There is always Ebay UK that works just like Ebay US. If you have a US account you can use it and Paypal just like in the US. Just sign in using your US ID. If you put something in your watch list it will automatically convert to US dollars. The Advantage you still have Ebay and Paypal protection for a bad transaction. Never had to use it.
I Never had a problem and most items are shipped using Royal Mail signed for. Much cheaper than DHL or UPS. They are still insured.
Check out   New Railway Modellers Forum  on specific models..

Bob

Joe Satnik

Dear Rob,

http://www.modeltrainclassics.com/

Charlie has lots of British outline trains in western Wisconsin.   

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Joe Satnik 
If your loco is too heavy to lift, you'd better be able to ride in, on or behind it.