News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New n scale turntable

Started by lesklar, March 12, 2013, 01:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lesklar

I was looking for some turntables and found that Bachmann has a 'new' n scale DCC ready turntable compatiable with EZ track. Anyone used this? Any pictures of this?

In general, are n scale turntables good or troublesome?

Mr. Bachmann, when will the website have an image of this product?

Bucksco

The N scale turntable will not be released until later this year. Bachmann will make an announcement when it is closer to the actual release date.

Desertdweller

lesklar,

I have two of the Atlas N-scale turntables on my railroad, and they work fine.  The only problem I've had was one was having trouble making good electrical contact between the contact plates and the moving contacts.
The contacts consist of little brass tubes with a spring in them.  I substituted a stiffer spring and that solved the problem.

Be careful when you take these apart: you have to reassemble the table in an inverted position to keep everything together.

The Atlas tables are a bit on the short side.  Mine will hold 2 F-units or one E-unit.  The table is sized to fit their roundhouse.  I matched mine to my EZ Track by using shimmed Woodland Scenics black foam roadbed and flextrack.  I used this for the outdoor whisker (garden) tracks.  The floor of the roundhouse is set up to take sectional plain track or straight flex track at the correct height to match the table.

These turntables look a lot better when they are painted.  You can paint the little shed housing the motor in your railroad's building color scheme.

Since Bachmann is coming out with a turntable, I suppose they are also going to market a compatible roundhouse with provision to add more stalls?

Les

Old John

I have a Peco (kit) that I picked up on Ebay, works great, scales out at 75 feet though!

Piyer

Quote from: Old John on March 14, 2013, 01:13:16 PM
I have a Peco (kit) that I picked up on Ebay, works great, scales out at 75 feet though!

Yep, 15 feet too long for the average branchline turntable of 60'. The 100+ footers offered by other brands are more typical of a major late-steam-era engine terminal. A 1918 listing of Boston & Maine turntables shows 116 turntables (and 18 wyes) with a range in sizes from 45' to 85' - 53 of which are 60', 12 are 50', 12 are 70', 10 are 75', 4 are 80', and 4 are 85'. The remainder are odd sizes of which there is usually on one of. Everything bigger than 60' dates to between 1900 and 1917, but they were still installing new / replacement 60' one in that same time period.

And the point of this exercise being that the turntable should be sized to the type of equipment - steam era equipment - that your railroad would be turning at that point. Although it probably happened somewhere, I cannot recall reading about a turntable being enlarged to accommodate larger diesels. 
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

GG1onFordsDTandI

I'm new to N, does anyone make a transfer table? If so..Whats the quality, glitches, DCC?, length, price, Mfg. etc.?