News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

turnouts?

Started by union pacific 844, March 15, 2013, 08:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

can a 18" radius ez track turnout be cut down to 22" radius and work ?

jward

you can't cut something down to a larger radius.

18r and 22r refer to the sharpness of the curve, not the length of the curve. the actual length of the curve is measured in degrees. the two are completely independent of each other. thus cutting an 18r switch down to the same arc as a 22r section (22 1/2 degrees) will merely result in a 22.5 degree 18r curve.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

rogertra

I take Atlas code 83 switches and put a curve into them, I've done to at least three so that they will smoothly fit into the trackage.

union pacific 844

the turns on my 18  radius ez track turnout are longer then 18  radius ez track

Morgun 30

Not sure if this helps you, but I believe that if you add a 1 1/2" piece to your curve section, it will be the same length of the curve in your turnout

jward

the curve starts at the points. as morgun said, there is about 1 1/2" of straight ahead of the points.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Terry Toenges

Here is what one looks like cut off.

Feel like a Mogul.

electrical whiz kid

There are curved turnouts available; what comes to mind are the Peco curved turnouts.  I don't know your skill level, but Central Valley makes tie sections for #5, 7, and I believe also 9.  I don't recommend the latter unless you have some experience undeer your belt.
Rich C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on March 17, 2013, 11:43:08 AM
There are curved turnouts available; what comes to mind are the Peco curved turnouts.  I don't know your skill level, but Central Valley makes tie sections for #5, 7, and I believe also 9.  I don't recommend the latter unless you have some experience undeer your belt.
Rich C.

Good suggestions but it's very difficult to mix set track with track that is more to scale be it hand laid or better quality commercial track like Peco or Atlas for example.