Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

dcc sound 2-6-0??

Started by union pacific 844, March 21, 2013, 01:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

union pacific 844

Jerrys HO

UP

The best way to find out how it runs is to BUY IT. You are asking for other peoples opinions on stuff YOU are interested in. Opinions are just that. Some will tell you they don't like it and some will tell you it's great. You may like it or you may not.
IMHO I like it. It sounds good and runs good for the price you get it for.

Jerry

Doneldon

844-

I like it, too. I think it provides real value and good operations in an attractive
package (the loco, not the box). But, like Jerry, I think you will have to run one
somewhere or buy one to see what you think of it yourself.

-- D

ryeguyisme

LOOK the engine up on YouTube, plenty of videos showing it running

Joe323

Model Railroader did a staff review on it (and I did one myself a few months back on this forum).  The MR site has a video.  Personally I like it its a good runner.

GtrsnTrains

Gotta say I love mine..#2 that is.  The 2-6-0 marks my 3rd Bachmann loco, and actually my 4th as well.  A 4-8-2 Spectrum, a Doodlebug Spectrum (I added a Tsunami decoder) and two 2-6-0s sound standard.  I have some love here, so please Mr. Bachmann don't take this as unkind. 
Purchased in early Feb of this year my first 2-6-0 had a slight catepillar thing going.  It seemed to stutter.  And it had pulling issues up a grade because of it- maybe one car but not two.  Most non-railroaders probably wouldn't have noticed it on the straight-and-level grade, but I did, and I think what was most important was that it please me.  If you get one, it should please you most of all too.  When I noticed it,Ishould have sent it in for evaluation or repair/replacement, but honestly I thought it could have an easy fix, and I was both up to the challenge and impatient.  I toyed with it, observed, over and again. Thought it was a few things, it wasn't, thoguht it was a few other things, it also wasn't.  What was confirmed however, was that my middle left drive wheel lifted on the rotation, enough that a razor- or Xacto-blade could easily be put in-between that wheel and the rail.  I know because I did it. It was lifting, and therefore it was causing what looked like a studder because there wasn't the traction, and also there was a loss of pulling capacity up a grade.  I could see it's effects on the boxcar or two being pulled.  The sound and all things DCC where really worth the money, IMHO.  So...
After somehow causing serious DCC/electrical issues I swallowed my repair-man pide and submitted it for repair.  Why?- I'm still convinced there is a cracked gear or axle in that unit, but I am also sure I messed up the small PCB board in the loco trying to pry off the shell to get at look at the internal gears that may have caused the pull on that wheel- AND somehow my PCB board in the tender and/or the decoder itself started smoking after a few garbled messages from the speaker...yes, smoking.  That's called Magic Smoke, once released it can never be put back!  Both PCB problems I am sure I caused somehow.
So....
I liked the loco, I wanted that loco, so as I was preparing to send it back (I have) I ordered another one!  It has been here for about 18 days, and I do in fact love it!  I DO think there was a rare manufacturing issue on my first one, and I think from reading forums that I may be the only one that had that issue or any issue really that I've seen.  And I am perfectly willing to pay the full for repairs, mostly due to anything I did myself, for the first one sent in, because I do in fact like #2 so much.  Haven't heard from Bachmann since I sent it into them, but I expected that. 
So there ya go.  1 in 100 maybe??  For the price, it really can't be beat- part of the reason I got one (two actually).

Speedbrake

Just lat week I purchased two (2) of the 2-6-0 Alco Mogals wirh the Soundtraxx sound value DCC installed. I have run both and am EXTREMELY PLEASED with their performance. I know they will not pull a large consist, over 12 cars on my club's layout (http://www.lmra.org/Activity.aspx?pageid=50) but for my smaller home layout they are ideal. The sound is great but limited from the full decoder, bell, whistle (three choices), pump, and blowdown steam.

On EasyDCC the locomotives have a great low speed start and on 128 speed steps can come up to speed very realisticly. I plan on posting a video on YouTube in the next few weeks.

My favorite thing is that I got each of them for about the price of a full-up Tsunami decoder.

jbrock27

Personally Matt, I think you are smart to ask people what they think of it and what their experience is with this loco, BEFORE you just go ahead and buy it.  Seems like common sense.  Also, do whatever reseach you can, anywhere, not just here, before your purchase.  No crime in being smart with how you spend your money.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Speedbrake

Update:

The two that I bought run like a champ on DCC. The sound is great as is the slow speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycgZX2i32kM&list=UU9HJD3Hu3TCVrptVNpOzz0A&index=1

Any jumping you see is not the locomotive but the the speed of the computer viewing the video.

Go for it if you haven;t already.....!

jbrock27

Preeettty cool!  Nice sound like you said.

I also like the vid of the Cadillac of the Sky shooting up German vehicles!
Keep Calm and Carry On

17collegehill

Speedbrake, I really like my Sound Value 2-6-0 and enjoyed your video because I can run my engine only at Christmas time under the tree. Please tell me about the four passenger cars behind your engine. They look great, too. Thanks for posting the message and link to the video

Bucksco

Trains...... this is a model train forum........... I like planes too but there are other forums out there to discuss their merits.  ;)

fs2k4pilot

I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to get mod-hammered.  That's why I held off on bouncing all of them with a P-47M.

But back on topic, I have this loco (UP #39), and I like it a lot, but is there any way to resynch the chuff sounds to the wheel movement?

Speedbrake

17Collegehill

The passenger cars are a old set of Bachmann 1860-1880 cars the I bought at a train show several years ago. Bachmann still sells them. I repainted a set and lettered them for ATSF.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3986
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3984
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3985
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/products.php?act=viewProd&productId=3987

I mounted Kadee couplers on them as well as Kadee wheelsets. Hope that helps.

Speedbrake

You can also located these 1860-1890 passenger cars on E-Bay. Type in Bachmann passengers cars or 1860-1890 passenger cars.

::)