Running Number/ Reference Number Identification

Started by JoeD1611, April 06, 2013, 01:24:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoeD1611

Quote from: BaltoOhioRRfan on April 07, 2013, 11:18:22 AM
if you're trying to get it to the factory painted road number as they are called here in the US this appears that it maybe the engine you are looking for is on this page:

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/prod1.php?prod_selected=branchline&prod=3#

Scroll down to near the bottom with item number being 32-509

Thank you for your assistance. However, I've looked into 32-509 and some of the detailing such as the handrails attached to the cab appear to be different so unfortunately it doesn't seem to be that one.

JoeD1611

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on April 08, 2013, 10:30:42 AM
Quote from: JoeD1611 on April 06, 2013, 01:24:02 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum as I recently purchased my first Bachmann model locomotive. It was surprisingly cheap because the previous owner had, for whatever reason, decided to scratch the running number off the locomotive and then tried to return it to Bachmann claiming it was faulty and, of course, it wasn't.

I am now trying to find out what the running number was so that I can get some transfers.

Here are some details of the model:

Standard Class 5
Early BR Emblem
Sprung Buffers
Cab Handrails
Small Tension Lock NEM Couplings

There is also a strange sort of 'curve' at the back of the cab.

The packaging is polystyrene with a dark blue Bachmann Branch Line Box that says 'Model Railways' as well as having the Bachmann Branch Line logo. Unfortunately one side of the box (most likely the one that had the reference number of the locomotive on it) has been torn off.

Any help with identifying the model fully would be much appreciated and if you require any more details please ask.

Thanks in advance.

I myself am American but have a couple of Bachmann Branchline engines in my line-up and one recommendation I have for finding the exact cab number of the model is to google the item number that is located on the side of the box where it has the description of the locomotive. It is usually 2 numbers-three numbers (example: 32-550, the 2001 BR Brunswick Green limited edition Tornado) or 2 numbers-three numbers then a letter (example: 32-550A/B/C/K, the newer variants of Bachmann UK's model of Tornado. A=Apple Green, B=Brunswick Green, C=BR Express Blue, K=Collectors club exclusive Works Grey with www.A1steam.com on the tender sides). So if you google the item number you should be able to find out what the cab number was.

Unfortunately as I say I don't know the 'item number' or as I refer to it the 'reference number' because it must have been printed on the end of the box that is missing, but thank you for your advice.

MilwaukeeRoadfan261

Quote from: JoeD1611 on April 13, 2013, 02:45:42 PM
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum as I recently purchased my first Bachmann model locomotive. It was surprisingly cheap because the previous owner had, for whatever reason, decided to scratch the running number off the locomotive and then tried to return it to Bachmann claiming it was faulty and, of course, it wasn't.

I am now trying to find out what the running number was so that I can get some transfers.

Standard Class 5
Early BR Emblem
Sprung Buffers
Cab Handrails

The packaging is polystyrene with a dark blue Bachmann Branch Line Box that says 'Model Railways' as well as having the Bachmann Branch Line logo. Unfortunately one side of the box (most likely the one that had the reference number of the locomotive on it) has been torn off.

Any help with identifying the model fully would be much appreciated and if you require any more details please ask.

Thanks in advance.

I myself am American but have a couple of Bachmann Branchline engines in my line-up and one recommendation I have for finding the exact cab number of the model is to google the item number that is located on the side of the box where it has the description of the locomotive. It is usually 2 numbers-three numbers (example: 32-550, the 2001 BR Brunswick Green limited edition Tornado) or 2 numbers-three numbers then a letter (example: 32-550A/B/C/K, the newer variants of Bachmann UK's model of Tornado. A=Apple Green, B=Brunswick Green, C=BR Express Blue, K=Collectors club exclusive Works Grey with www.A1steam.com on the tender sides). So if you google the item number you should be able to find out what the cab number was.

Unfortunately as I say I don't know the 'item number' or as I refer to it the 'reference number' because it must have been printed on the end of the box that is missing, but thank you for your advice.

Didn't know that end of the box was missing. It was just an idea though. Another Idea would be to look at the parts diagram if that was included with the model as past parts diagrams for Bachmann Branchline engines like the A4 had a list of the different engine numbers and engine liveries of that particular run. They don't do that anymore but they might have still been doing that when the locomotive in question was made.

JoeD1611

Quote from: MilwaukeeRoadfan261 on April 13, 2013, 11:31:33 PM
Quote from: JoeD1611 on April 13, 2013, 02:45:42 PM

Standard Class 5
Early BR Emblem
Sprung Buffers
Cab Handrails

Thanks in advance.

Didn't know that end of the box was missing. It was just an idea though. Another Idea would be to look at the parts diagram if that was included with the model as past parts diagrams for Bachmann Branchline engines like the A4 had a list of the different engine numbers and engine liveries of that particular run. They don't do that anymore but they might have still been doing that when the locomotive in question was made.

Unfortunately there is no list of numbers on the parts diagram.

However I think I may have discovered which one it is, it appears to be 32-503Z which is the Limited Edition 'City of Peterborough' Standard Class 5. Obviously it would come with a card detailing this if it was new but given that it is second hand there is no way of knowing for sure that it is but the tender and all the locomotive details matches.