News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

K-27 Rio Grande

Started by narrow gage bob, August 30, 2007, 08:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zubi

Quote from: glennk28 on September 05, 2007, 12:55:05 AM
Whatever you call the scale, it remains that a boxcar in 20.3 is about 2 inches longer than the same car in 22.5 (G). When together, the difference is very noticeable. gj

GJ, one inch comes from the simple fact that LGB or USAT boxcars are modelled after 28 foot prototype while Accucraft prototype is a 30foot car. The other inch comes from the nonstandard;-) scale ratio used by Accucraft. Best wishes, Zubi

JerryB

Quote from: zubi on September 05, 2007, 11:07:13 PM<snip> 'G' is an umbrella over many scales ranging from about 1:13 (feldbahn) to about 1:27 (standard gauge) but operating on 45mm track <snip>
Interesting that you include scales from 1:13 clear on up to 1:27 as comprising "G scale", but not include what is arguably the largest selling 1:29 scale. Is there something really special about Aristocraft and USA Trains that they are left out of your personal naming convention?

Happy RRing,

Jerry
Sequoia Pacific RR in 1:20 / 70.6mm
Boonville Light & Power Co. in 1:20 / 45mm
Navarro Engineering & Construction Co. in 1:20 / 32mm
NMRA Life Member #3370
Member: Bay Area Electric Railway Association
Member: Society for the Preservation of Carter Railroad Resources

Hamish K

Jerry

I think zubi was only mentioning the scales produced by LGB which ranged from about 1:13 for some of their "Feldbahn" (field railway) equipment (other LGB feldbahn equipment was about 1:18)  through 1:22.5 to 1:26 or 1:27 for their standard gauge stuff. This was not his personal view of "G" scale but the different scales produced by LGB as "G".

Hamish

zubi

Hamish, thanks for helping me. Sure, I said 'about' meaning that the notion of scale is really very vague in the concept of G-scale, it is the gauge which is relevant, plus the overall size. So 1:29 fits. But gauge 1 1/32 has been defined for so long and being standard gauge it has such a clear definition and a long established group of followers that it never really fitted under the  G-scale  umbrella.
But as you well realise, scale 1:30 is sometimes used by gauge 1 people (Aster Glaskasten and all Japanese prototypes) and it is still considered to belong to gauge 1, not to G-scale even though if we consider the issue from strictly arithmetic point of view 1:30 is considerably closer to 1:29 - G-scale than to 1:32- gauge 1.
So there you are, there are arguments and counterarguments but as with some other more or less pleasant activities, it is better to make/play trains not wars.
Best wishes from Tokyo, Zubi

taz-of-boyds

1/29 is my favorite G scale, I plan to have my favorite little railroads modeled in that scale outside along with N scale inside.  The Bachnmann larGe scale passenger cars (last I checked) seemed to be a good size match for 1/29 heavyweights.  I plan to patch some together to model the home built units from the Cumberland and Pennsylvania railroad from Maryland's coal past.

Thanks,
Charles