News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what might be next for Large Scale

Started by bob kaplan, August 19, 2013, 01:59:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

john1937

Dave mentioned Baldwin influence in New Zealand 3ft 6in narrow gauge. Baldwin had an influence in Australia too. See . http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/‎; and en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puffing_Billy_Railway
Baldwin also provided Lyn to the Lynton and Barnstaple railway in UK. (David Fletcher has shown both Lyn and NA locomotives together. See: http://www.762club.com/images/gallery5/5.pdf or http://www.pacificng.com/ref/blw/style/stylediag/Na1-Lyn-Colour2-STLE-292-223.png )
If Bachmann is looking to provide more narrow gauge locos and rolling stock, then I suggest that the NA class of locomotives supported by the Puffing Billy Preservation Society would be great candidates. The NA class is similar to the Lyn model but has a 2-6-2T wheel arrangement (Prairie). Two were manufactured in Philadelphia USA and the remaining 15 in Australia between 1898 and 1915. Five of the 15 are still in service: see http://pbps.puffingbilly.com.au/rolling-stock/locomotive-fleet/ . NA 3A (in storage) & 6A were in Victorian Railways Green livery, 7A & 12A were in V.R. Red livery, and 8A & 14A were "all over black". So Bachmann could produce several different locos economically in the one production run, with each representing an existing heritage loco. If they wished, they could add one of the first two in the Baldwin Green as portrayed by David Fletcher. (A black live steam model was reviewed by Marc Horovitz in May 2001: see http://www.sidestreetbannerworks.com/locos/loco13.html but this model no longer appears to be in production.)
John

grcaprez

To go back to the original post: I am totally ignorant about what you are talking about. Obviously there has been a "new announcement" by Bachmann. What is this? New product, new scale?

Gion

GG1onFordsDTandI

Quote from: grcaprez on August 23, 2013, 05:18:29 AM
To go back to the original post: I am totally ignorant about what you are talking about. Obviously there has been a "new announcement" by Bachmann. What is this? New product, new scale?
Gion
I assumed it was something here, but didn't really check out G yet. http://www.bachmanntrains.net/Catalogs/2013/NMRA_2013.pdf

Skarloey Railway

Just to come back. I wasn't remotely suggesting that Dave is ridiculous, merely pointing out that his statement that Bachmann could run out of NG prototypes to model is a little improbable, given the vast numbers of NG locomotives built in the US alone.

I also wasn't suggesting that Bachmann ought or could make models of all of them! Obviously they have to produce models that will sell and I suspect the large scale market is trickier than the smaller scales where most modellers tend to follow a particular type of NG  railroad, be it, logging, mining/industrial, common-carrier, etcetera, and a company can reasonably assume that if it's sold lots of shays and climaxes there'd be a demand for another logging loco like a Heisler. Large scalers seem much more capricious in their wants and often will run anything with any other thing without worrying about what the prototype did.

Personally, if Bachmann took to working its way through Baldwins 1885 Illustrated Catalogue of Narrow-Gauge Locomotives http://archive.org/stream/illustratednarro00baldrich#page/n73/mode/2up I'd be very happy indeed.

Loco Bill Canelos

Gion,

The item is on page 5 or 6 on the announcement pdf URL posted by GG1 above.  It is the only new Large Scale item announced for 2013 and is the Peter Witt Streetcar in 1/29th Scale.
Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

Chastity

Not sure exactly what the Peter Witt means.  It is in 1:29 so perhaps a foray into that side of the large scale market.  While I do not see Bachmann dropping the 1:20.3 this maybe an indication of branching into another part of the market place.  I just wonder why a trolley for the first prototype?

Of course Bachmann has always gone its own way with things.  I can not help but wonder if they will niche this market as well and say work with interurban/electric railway stuff. The thought of making the trolley compatible to work off real overhead is nice.  Steeple cabs, and maybe even modern street cars like the San Diego Trolley would allow one to run some fairly good size equipment justifiably on narrow turn track.

As far as bigger standard gauge prototypes goes, there is a plethora of stuff not touched upon yet.  Alco road switchers in the RS and Century series comes to mind.

grcaprez

GG1 and Loco Bill

thank you for the info. So far the "standard" scale for traction equipment has been 1:24, I wonder if the 1:29 is as accurate a description as the "1:20.3" on the small freight cars. Those trolleys look good, and if they are compatible in scale to the previous single-truck trolleys and LGB's New Orleans trolley I will have one.

Gion

Loco Bill Canelos

Been thinking about the 1/29th scale ideas and currently run some kitbashed Bachmann 1:22.5 hoppers modernized with my 1/29th trains and some kitbashed flat cars converted to trailer on flat car cars.  My indoor layout era is from 1905 to 1940 and my outdoor layout is 1941 to 1966.   So I would love to see a shovel nose Pioneer Zephyr in 1/29th.  The three car set would be a great item,  or even a General Pershing Zephyr which was the only non Articulated Zephyr set!  It would be a great steam to diesel transition period item!!  It would be a great train set and I can picture the set box now 8).   

Loco Bill,  Roundhouse Foreman
Colorado & Kansas Railway-Missouri Western Railway
Official Historian; Bachmann Large Scale
Colorado RR Museum-Brakeman-Engineer-Motorman-Trainman
There are no dumb or stupid questions, just questions!

adir Tom

I keep reading here comments of "either" "or" in scales. Bechmann has been very successful in the 1:20 scale. Thus, if anything it would "and". Hopefully they will include 1/29 in their catalog. Especially steam.

Dale Loyet

I thought they would make the 2 cylinder T boiler in 0n 30 , in G scale also. I think they need a smaller back woods logging engine.  Also a battery powered, remote control engine out of the box would be nice. Set it on the track and go, just like the early Big hauler.  Just better quality and detail.

M1FredQ

GG!

That post on the Peter Witt is a gold mine of info.

Thanks for posting.

I do plan on getting a Chicago one for our Christmas set-up around the tree. As we go Large scale around the tree. My son Joey is asking we do O Scale this year. I told him if he aces his spelling tests till Thanksgiving I'll do it. Let's see what happens

Tom Lapointe

I'll second Dave's comments on a 1:20.3 version of the On30 2-cylinder Shay;  I have an Accucraft live-steam  8) one, but with uninsulated drivers, it doesn't "play nice"  >:( with the track-powered, DCC controlled Bachmann locos (Accucraft DID do an electric version, but being a brass loco, it was as pricey as the live steamer!)  :o.  For a larger prototype, a 1:20.3 3-truck Williamette would be nice (although I'm not sure if any 3-foot gauge prototypes of the Williamette actually existed).  A Little River 2-4-4-2 Mallet would also be an interesting prototype.

I can certainly understand why Bachmann may be getting into 1:29th as well; I occasionally change time period on my "Watuppa Railway" and run 1950's New Haven prototypes.  I'm also a Pennsy fan & one steam prototype which would probably sell VERY well would be a PRR K4s (especially if multiple prototypes were produced such as Bachmann has done with the K-27; a "classic" 1930's K4s with the "chicken coop" pilot  8) , a 1950's version with the so-called "beauty treatment"  ::) with the reversed turbogenerator & headlight positions, and cast pilot with drop coupler).  There are also plenty of diesel prototypes which the the existing 1:29 manufacturers have not produced (I'd be a potential customer for a New Haven Alco RS-11, for example).  And one VERY modern prototype Bachmann already produces in N & HO - the Acela!  8)  (As far as I'm concerned, the LGB "Acela" - a relettered German ICE with STICKERS for windows!  ??? - was a joke!).  I think a Large-Scale 1:29 Acela, done to a level of detail comparable to the fantastic Spectrum Large-Scale long Rio Grande caboose, would be a fantastic piece of modern equipment.  8)  Just my 2 cents. worth.   ;)  Tom

smcgill

Quote from: Dale Loyet on September 20, 2013, 12:29:11 PM
       I thought they would make the 2 cylinder T boiler in 0n 30 , in G scale also. I think they need a smaller back woods logging engine. 

Great Idea!! ;D