News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

HO EM-1 part 2

Started by cruiser7629, September 20, 2013, 10:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruiser7629

To Bach Man, Jonathan & Anyone Else;

Its me again. I had the EM-1 That worked on DC but not DCC. I downloaded and printed a bunch of stuff from the Bachmann website and last night I had our DCC "expert" try again. This time he succeeded in changing the locomotive address to 7629 and getting it to run on DCC. However, the sound still does not work. After working on the problem for a while he said he was stumped. He thinks that either the sound module or the speaker is defective, but he isn't sure. He suggested that the sound might be muted but he could not see how to unmute it. I plan to take the tender shell off this weekend to see if I can see an obvious problem.
Would a defective sound unit prevent the DCC from working? (The sound module is installed correctly. I checked and compared it to the diagram.) I am trying to narrow down the possibilities. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks
                             Steve

GN.2-6-8-0

I use a digitrax DT 400 and F8 is the mute button.
Rocky Lives

Doneldon

cruiser-

A defective sound module shouldn't affect DCC operation. However, if the sound and DCC are both on the same decoder there could be defective aspects of both sound and DCC. Or, both decoders could be coincidentally defective if they are separate units.
                                                                                                                                                       -- D

Mark Damien

I bought two EM-1s & two sound modules.
Both have intermittent sound.
I have swapped the sound modules between each loco, with the same problems on both.
Mostly the sound doesn't play, & occasionally; out of the blue, it will start to play for 10 seconds or so,
while the loco is running.
Sound Value on the 2-6-0 is OK, but the limited sound & functions of this system is too basic on the EM-1.
I think I'll just get a fully functional Tsunami x2.
Cheers.
Mark

Even if the prototypes never existed, someone would have created Model Trains anyway.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Steams the Dream
Cheers.
Mark

jonathan

This issue has not affected my two EM-1s.  Our club layout puts about 14 volts to the rails, and the modular, traveling layout puts about 15 volts to the rails.  The EM-1 sound modules have never stopping working during operations.

The only help I could offer is these are big locos with big sound.  It may be helpful to find out how much current is being generated by your DCC systems.  That and to check to make sure the modules are seated all the way down on the connecting pins.

I keep operating time to about 1 hour per session.  The tenders/electronics do not get hot, but I can feel some warmth coming from the tenders after an hour.  Then it's time to switch to other locomotives.

Just a thought about these locos.

Regards,

Jonathan

cruiser7629

Well, it turns out that I didn't have the sound module pushed down far enough. As soon as it felt firm, I stopped pressing. I was nervous about using too much force and breaking something. One of the guys in our club looked at it and found the problem. Now the sound works. Duh!
Anyway, thanks to all for your responses. B&O forever!

Steve

jonathan

Happy it all worked out.  Congrats!

Jonathan