News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann decoders

Started by rondon47, October 07, 2013, 07:17:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rondon47

Anybody know why the Bachmann decoders sometimes won't program?  We are using Decoder Pro with a computer through a Digitrax system and are having problems programming a Bachmann 0-6-0.  A member of our club called Bachmann and he was told that the Bachmann decoder couldn't be programmed.  We are using an Easy DCC system on our layout, but the programmer isn't working.  The Decoder Pro will program anything but this 0-6-0.  Anybody else having this problem and what are you doing about it short of installing a decent decoder?

richg

richg

I had thought about that but usually that issue was with the SoundTraxx decoders.

Rich

Bucksco

The issue is with the controller not the decoders.....

rondon47

Well, if the controller is the problem, then Digitrax won't program them, Easy DCC won't program them and the Decoder Pro won't program them.  There's more to it than just controllers.  Also, why would a rep from Bachmann tell us that the Bachmann decoders won't program, you have to run them on 0003?

Bucksco

If you need an answer directly from Bachmann please contact our service department
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service_2010.php

hawaiiho

Quote from: rondon47 on October 11, 2013, 06:56:18 PM
Well, if the controller is the problem, then Digitrax won't program them, Easy DCC won't program them and the Decoder Pro won't program them.  There's more to it than just controllers.  Also, why would a rep from Bachmann tell us that the Bachmann decoders won't program, you have to run them on 0003?

I don't understand this comment. I use Decoder Pro software and have had no problem programing any of the functions available on the
Bachmann decoder. Admittedly that is limited by the version of the decoder, but I still have had no problem reading the Bachmann decoders,
nor any trouble writing to the functions available.

rondon47

My original question had to do with the Bachmann 0-6-0.  A member of our club is having trouble with programing this locomotive.  I have programmed many Bachmann locos myself and have had no problem.  It seems to be a problem with whatever decoder this certain loco has installed.  Our Decoder Pro tells us that there is no signal from the loco, therefore it won't program. 

ALCO1000

Are you trying this on the service track or the main, had some issues like this , I did a service track program procedure and set cv 8 to 8 and all was well, hope this helps!

rondon47

Will try the CV8 reset.  Thanks.

lvrr325

They make these things overseas by the thousands, once in a while you get a bad one, too.  I had an On30 Forney that just about caught fire due to a defect with the decoder.  It was glowing white-hot when I opened it up and tested it again. 

Worst case see if they'll warranty it for a decoder replacement.

jward

I am surprised nobody has mentioned this so far.

yardmaster was right that it is a compatability issue with your dcc system. with digitrax, you need to place a 1k ohm resistor across the programming leads, or the rails of the programming track, to be able to read and program the decoder. this is true not only of Bachmann decoders, but other lenz types such as those used by atlas as well.

I made up a clip on attatchment from two alligator clips and a resistor. that way, I can add the 1k ohms to the circuit only when needed.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Jerrys HO

Jeff,
QuoteI am surprised nobody has mentioned this so far.

yardmaster was right that it is a compatability issue with your dcc system. with digitrax, you need to place a 1k ohm resistor across the programming leads, or the rails of the programming track, to be able to read and program the decoder. this is true not only of Bachmann decoders, but other lenz types such as those used by atlas as well.
My post in the second reply mentioned it. I guess as richg stated no one reads through everything.

Jerry

richg

From a search of the General and HO forums for 1 k resistor I included post by the yardrmaster. the bach-man might have worked also.
I have to credit Obvious Man for this suggestion. Not my idea.

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,19462.0.html

Rich