News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Turntable?

Started by rains train, September 09, 2007, 12:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rains train

I'm fairly new here, and I'm planning on getting a layout started, and I need a turntable, what is easier, atlas, walthers? How would you use EZ track with it? Please give me some advise!  ;D

This is K-10's Modle Trains, AKA...best place in the world!

GlennW

I'll give you 2 more choices: Peco, or Heljan/Walthers/ConCor. There may be other European TT's that are imported into the US.

The Peco is the smallest. The Heljan is from the 1980's & has had several importers. Walthers also sold them for a time. A motor kit is sold separately if you don't want an armstrong table.

The Atlas & Walthers cornerstone are the newest. Walthers would fit into a post-1950 timeframe. They may be the easiest to find at a hobbyshop. You may need to hunt on *bay or a swap meet for the Heljan model.

The main difference is the size of the table. Big locos like a Big Boy or Challernger likely won't fit on the Peco table. 

The TT's are all designed to fit the same brand's roundhouse. You need to know the degree of turn to fit the next stall of the RH. Some RH can be adjusted by changing the distance between the TT & the RH.

Between the TT, RH, & EZtrack, you will be best off to use flextrack then use a shim to get the flex up to EZtrak. Atlas Right Track software may have templates you can use to compare & lay everything out before cutting any rail. It will be a lot cheaper to get some cork or foam to be a roadbed under the RH & all the track leading to the TT.  Once all the track is in place, then build the RH & install the TT.
Have fun with your layout!

rains train

ya, i'm getting a big boy this christmas, i'm planning on getting an atlas turntable and roundhouse, and somehow useing it with EZ track, also getting a motar for the turntable.  ;D

rains train

I just need to know how to install it with EZ track  :-\

brokemoto

The big boy, the challenger and the 2-8-8-2 will not fit onto the Atlas turntable.  The B-mann 2-6-6-2 and LL 2-8-4 will barely fit.  Anything smaller will fit.

Kato sells a transition track for use with its UniTrack that allows you to connect it to flex or snap track, but I do not know if B-mann sells a similar section of track.  You may be able to put a piece of flex track into the B-mann joiners and use cork to raise it to the height of the B-mann track, but I am not sure as I have never tried to mix E-Z TRAK with UniTrack or flex track.

rains train

What roundhouse will fit a 4-8-8-4?

rains train

brokemoto

I have never owned a 4-8-8-4. 

The Walthers/HelJan turntable used to hold a 2-8-8-2.  I seem to recall that it also held a
4-6-6-4, but I can not be sure, as it has been a long time since I had one.  I used to own two Rivarossi challengers, but that was some time back.  I also got rid of my Walthers/HelJan truntable some time back, as I was never too happy with it.

The HelJan barely held the last mentioned articulateds, so I suspect that it would not hold a
4-8-8-4, but, as I have never owned one, I can not bet even the telephone bill on it.

I would suspect that you would need to buy one of the German imports, but they cost three-hundred dollars and up. 

As for a roundhouse, you would probably have to bash an extension to an existing one, as I do not know that anyone sells a roundhouse that large.

rains train

alright..., well, if anyone knows if they have a roundhouse and turntable to hold a 4-8-8-4 please let me know.. :-[

fieromike

Quote from: rains train on September 10, 2007, 08:54:12 AM
alright..., well, if anyone knows if they have a roundhouse and turntable to hold a 4-8-8-4 please let me know.. :-[
There are 2 turntables currently available to turn a big-boy.  The big-boy's wheelbase is just under 118' and the overall length is 132' 10", so even with the largest turntable, there will still be a bit of loco hanging over the ends of the bridge on this auto-indexing table from Walthers:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2613
The other turntable, also from Walthers, is a manual turntable that you turn with a pulley and string contraption.
Walthers just happens to have a roundhouse suitable for use with this turntable, and it is large enough to allow you to park a big-boy inside.  None of this project will be inexpensive, but with a little tlc, it'll be a source of pride for years to come.  Time to look for that second job!

Mike

rains train

Not old enough for a job yet, this summer, or the next one though!  ;)

rains train

Ouch that turntable's expensive.. :o  might get t=an atlas one, and not use a turntable  for my big boy when i get it this christmas, or save up for that one... :-\

djp

There is a way out. You could buy the Atlas turntable. Cut a hole in the platform you are using for your layout and sink the turntable below the level. Then build a new bridge of your required length on the existing deck of the turntable. I model HO scale and did just that. I cannot afford shelling out 300$ for a turntable. Hope you are good with your hands otherwise it is going to be difficult for you.
Get Off My Train !!!

rains train

djp

If a picture will help let me know. I'll post one tomorrow.
Get Off My Train !!!