News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

DCC CV values

Started by Mark FL, November 08, 2013, 12:59:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark FL

where can one go to find a chart or guide that will show the benefits of CV settings? For example what is the best starting voltage? whet is the best top voltage. I would like to experiment with different settings but i am afraid i will screw up the DCC board.

Jerrys HO

Mark,
I don't think there is a guide to the best settings. The settings would be an individual preference to how you want your engine to run.
Here is a link that is great information on DCC. Read through it and possibly contact him.
Richg has stated he very friendly and is easy to deal with. He also states if you read this that experimenting with cv's is best done with the Decoder Pro, but can be done without.

http://www.mrdccu.com/curriculum/cv.htm

I read through his documents all the time and hope it helps you.

Jerry

Mark FL

bapguy

If you don't like the CV value, you can always reset it. I like to have my loco's start at speed step 1, so I set starting voltage to 20. CV3 and CV4 I set to 10. I run sound loco's so I experiment with auto notching. I also like speed tables to set the top speed of the loco's. That is why I use Decoder Pro.  Joe

richg

The downside of DCC. Requires reading the controller and decoder manuals. Not like DC. Lots of experimenting also.
Decoder Pro is the way to go. All your values are stored in case the decoder hiccups and eventually some will.
There are far too many variations in DCC locos and how different people use them to make a Best book.

Make sure your really pour though Bruce's website and he is a regular contributor to the MRH eZine magazine and forum. The link is at his website. Bruce still works closely with SoundTraxx also.
SoundTraxx also makes non sound decoders.

Rich

Mark FL

OK now i need to learn about Decoder Pro.  Is this a software program or sometype of hardware? and how does it interface with my trains? ( I told you i was new to all of this)

Mark FL

Ok just got done surfing the WEB. Now i think i understand what this is and what it does. It looks very cool and seems that it is very easy to use. I AM IN!