changing name of Locomotive in DCC

Started by almudallal, December 10, 2013, 11:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

almudallal

I wish to operate two trains.
the default number for both trains is # 003 so I need to change the address and name of at least one of the trains so I can operate them separately
I tried to change the train address and name using the Dynamis system . Went through all the steps as instructed ,and at the final step the train responded to the name change with a slight movement .I thought that meant that the decoder acknowleged the address change . However
When I pushed the Throttle The train would not move .
I later went back and changed the address back to the 003 and it started working as usual.
How can I change the address and still get the train to function on the new address . Am I missing a step or doing something wrong ?

Thank you

utdave

well let me give this a shot .  hit the program menu   go to screen  program  0003  ok     hit check mark    then find  write address   hit check   ok     change address  thats where you put new address in   then hit your program    make sure you are on service track   power off on maintrack  ALLWAYS.  you might program other things to that address or change things you dont want changed.     now your loco jerks a little  like 2 times   .      now go back and add the name to that address you like .     had no trouble with this method  unless i dont have my glasses on and program the main with the power on and program 12 locos to the same adddress .  so i added that safety feature in how to do it      Dave

Ken G Price

Quote from: utdave on December 11, 2013, 12:14:08 AM
 had no trouble with this method  unless i don't have my glasses on and program the main with the power on and program 12 locos to the same address .  so i added that safety feature in how to do it

Glad to know that I'm not the only one who has done that.  :o
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

almudallal

Thank you Dave .
To be clear . I did the address change on Service track as you mentioned and the train jerked ,
and I later added the name that I wanted  and pushed program but still the train did not function . I must also tell you that the train is a Broadway Limited Steam Loco ,not a Bachmann train .Could that be the problem ?

Also what do you mean by "power off on maintrack  ALLWAYS. ". How do I power off the maintack . I don't use main track programing .

appreciate your input

utdave

just unplug or put a switch  so theres no power at all on main.      just get into that habit.    im not sure on a broadway limited    but try a 4 number address      1234     not a 0003         see if that will help you           DAve

Bob_B

I have a couple of BLI locos I've programmed with Dynamis with no problems.
I've also programmed on the main track. I just make sure no other locos are on it when programming ;-)

BTW. AFAIK changing the name of the loco is superficial and doesn't affect anything in relation to its' operation.

AGSB

Quote from: almudallal on December 10, 2013, 11:18:13 PM
Went through all the steps as instructed ,and at the final step the train responded to the name change with a slight movement .I thought that meant that the decoder acknowleged the address change .

Are you changing the address or the name? They are two different things and require 2 different steps.

Hunt

almudallal,

Probable issues:  product compatibility and user error.

Two obstacles:
1)   Not  given sufficient information to determine the decoder in the BLI locomotive
2)   Support of other manufactures' products  beyond intended scope of this forum.

BLI technical support questions and issues to:    service@broadway-limited.com
         Phone: 386-673-8900 - Phone Technical Support Hours: 1pm - 4pm EST M-F

MarkInLA

No knowledge about Dynamis  but with NCE you scroll to 'address loco'. loco is factory default 3. If short address is desired (like 204) then enter 'Short Add.' OR, enter 'long ADD.' (like 3257). Now enter it's new address and it should run if same or similar to NCE throttle. I never heard of entering a name. What is this ? You mean like " Old Reliable " or " Betsy" ? Or name of RR such as L&N RR or  US Steel , or the Maumee Route ? Who adds anything but loco's address ? Guess this is a Dynamis feature. 

AGSB

Yes, with a Dynamis system you can enter a loco address and a loco name. For example, I have a diesel engine that, when called up on the Dynamis Controller, shows:
Loco Address: 5628
Loco Name: SD40-2 CP Rail.

Plus you can also choose an Icon for the loco type - steam, diesel or electric.

Hunt

An aside -
Quote from: MarkInLA on December 17, 2013, 10:49:54 PM
...short address is desired (like 204) ...

MarkInLA,

Address 204 is a Long Address. Only an address in the 1 -127 range is a valid Short Address. Some DCC systems restrict a valid Short Address to the 1 – 99 range.

Depending on the DCC source you will see,
      Short Address called 2-digit Address or Primary Address
      Long Address called 4-digit or Extended Address

MarkInLA

Hunt, yeah after I sent message I did think 204 was too high to be a short address but I figured he'd get the idea anyway. Was surprised Dynamis has this 'naming' feature. Seems a tad redundant as we who own the loco know all the important facts ( type of loco like : SD 9/SP or Ma & PA 2-8-0 ). I'd think this function could be put to better use. As I said I never heard of Dynamis. I guess it's Bachmann's digital system. Maybe it's better than NCE !

Hunt

MarkInLA,
It takes little effort to inform yourself about Bachmann Dynamis using the search feature on this forum or using Google, Bing, etc.

Click Here for an introduction article.

Is Dynamis better than the NCE DCC system you are using; that depends on your requirements of a control system. I have hands on experience with Dynamis but am using another (not Bachmann) DCC system.

rbryce1

When I got back into model railroading several years ago, I started right out with DCC.  I started with the Dynamis, but always had problems with it.  Each of the two train clubs I belong to use different DCC systems.  I was able to get hands on experience with both of the other two systems, and after finding the plusses and minuses of the three, decided to purchase one of the other two and sell the Dynamis.  

The system I currently use I am happy with, but, like most, it does not have the ability to change names, only short and long addresses.  I can see a use for attaching names, especially if you have several locos of the same type and road number, as Bachmann doesn't have a wide selection of road numbers in most cases, so you can give each a unique name to identify it with instead of remembering which loco of the same road number is 1234 and which is 1235.  The obvious response to this is change some of the road numbers, but that is not always as easy as it sounds and still have them all look the same.