News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

what speaker to use

Started by GRZ, December 16, 2013, 09:19:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GRZ

HI, im  installing a soundtraxx  model-tsu-750 decoder in a Bachmann 70 ton switcher, wondering what size speaker to use and where will it fit,[not much room] thank you GRZ

richg

I used a 16mm x 35mm in a home made styrene enclosure. My install should be in the HO forums somewhere.
I used a LokSound Micro which is 100 ohms and it came with the decoder.
The 750 uses a 8 ohm speaker.

Rich

Jerrys HO

GRZ

You been looking a long time for that speaker  ;).
Here's your previous post...

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/board/index.php/topic,20250.0.html

Jerry

Jerrys HO

richg

The speaker was a tight fit. I keep a sanding block of hardwood with 150 grit on one side and 220 grit on the other side. I used the 150 side to make the speaker a little narrower. The speaker frame is plastic.
The weights are a metal that melts at the boiling temp of water. Small metal pan floating in a little larger pan of water. The Lego's handle the liquid metal just fine. Removing the metal weight was my way.
Don't remember what the author of the magazine article did. Back issue can be ordered online if you are curious.
The Micro had a 0.5 amp limit and the 70 ton DC current was about the same but I know the LokSound Micros handle heat quite well. Ran the loco on the club layout for maybe an hour with no issues.
The 750 should handle the current just fine. I did not run my loco faster than the prototype speed. Maybe 75 percent of the prototype speed.
Previous to this project, I did quite a lot of prototype research.

Rich

richg

I use to buy all my DCC stuff from Litchfield Station. Great supplier.

Rich

richg

I thought of the 750 but because it was tight, I chose the LokSound which seemed to be slightly smaller according to online researching for decoder specs. The 750 would have fit.
The Bachmann would like use to use SoundTraxx.

I also did two HO 44 tonners which are in the forum. Little frame modification needed for this install using a Dremel and diamond cutoff wheel.

Rich

richg

Good news.

Love the start up and shut down of the prime mover. I never did anymore fine tuning of the sounds.

Rich