News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Bachmann 2-8-0 (Reading) (Old!)

Started by VillyM, September 21, 2007, 01:13:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VillyM

Greeting alls.
I recently acquired an old 2-8-0 recently that was really in unbelievable shape.  In spite of the pancake motor, It runs very well indeed (slow speed operation being helped along by a substantial 20 hertz pulse).

The problem that I do have with it is that it has little in the way of traction (exacerbated no doubt by the healthy pulse mentioned above).

Since the loco came with nothing more than the tender, I have no idea whether traction tires were used (although that doesn't appear to be the case), and whether or not the driven axles were sprung...

I did improve the pickup performance by changing the tender wheels to metal and adding pickups..

Does anyone have a parts list and/or expoded diagram for this old beauty that they could send me ???

Thanks

Villy

VillyM

Well..

I am told that there is a letter at home from Bachmann with the information that I requested.  I had expected an email in response to my service request of a week or so ago....(it certainly would have been cheaper for them!!)

I AM impressed...

Villy

oldline1

A better way to go may be by using the mechanism upgrade available from Bowser. I'm sure it will give more pull than the stock Bachmann drive that came with this engine. Here's the link:

http://www.bowser-trains.com/hoemrrs/mechanisms/3_201/3_201.htm

Roger

jayl1

The Bowser kits are very nice BUT can be tough to build - especially the valve gear.  They are a nice upgrade to the original drive.

robertjohndavis

there was a good article in RMC awhile back about usingthe Spectrum 2-8-0 drive under the old shell. Heck you can get a Spectrum with sound for $125 and have a walking talking I-10!

Rob