News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Manual Turnouts to power?

Started by Tim Allen, January 12, 2014, 12:06:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Allen

Hi, can you make manual turnouts to power turnouts? If so how?

Thanks

AGSB

Have you any idea what brand of switch you have? This will have a distinct bearing on what switch machine you will need.

Tim Allen

Oh sorry, it is the E-Z Track I have. I bought the Bachmann Expander Pack item number 44494

shleds

I would also be interested in knowing what machines to use with this manual turnout to power it.

Tim Allen

I was mislead on the box, it said it had  1 RH and 1 LH remote switch. I didn't know is was manual until I opened the box.

Doneldon

Tim-

If it says "remote," it should be remote. Did you receive an electrical slide switch and some green and red wires? If so, you probably have a remote turnout. However, the turnouts' appearance can be deceiving in that they have a little mechanical switch on the turnout which permits you to throw it by hand; the ability to throw it manually does not make it a manual turnout unless that is your only option. If your turnouts are marked "remote" but don't include the electrical switch and wires you should return them to the store for replacement. I would also notify Bachmann if I were you because they would certainly like to know if they have mislabeled merchandise out on the market.
                                                                                                                                                                       -- D

shleds

The extender set says that it comes with 2 remote turnouts, but they are not, they come with 2 manual turnouts, I inspected what I received again, and there are no wires/electrical components of any kind on the turnouts. just a manual throw.

Doneldon

Tim and Schleds-

Ugh! I hope someone else on here has an easy way to automate EZ Track turnouts because I don't. I just have to say buy under-the-board switch machines, like Tortoises, and use a piece of piano wire through the turnout mechanism into the piece that ties the points together. This could be a lot of switch machines for a layout of any size.
                                                                                                                                                                        -- D

AGSB

Description on the "Online Store" says Manual switches. But enlarging the picture of the box, it clearly states "Remote Switches". i'd be contacting Bachmann about this.

From looking at the pictures of switches in the Online Store, the mechanism appears to be built into the switch, so I don't know how a conversion to remote would be done.

Len

The only reliable way I've found to convert manual EZ-Track turnouts to remotes was with either Tortise or Peco under table switch machines.

The Tortise machines are DC 'stall motor' units that can be operated with a standard toggle switch, while the Peco's are solinoid units that operate best on AC, contolled by momentary contact push buttons or momentary contact, center off, toggle switches.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

shleds

I also bought 8 DCC turnouts for my whole layout afterwards, so those 2 manual turnouts are used for two seldom-used spurs that can easily switched manually.

Tim Allen

Thanks, I have written Bachmann an e-mail, lets hope they respond.

GG1onFordsDTandI

A picture can be worth a thousand words. I dont know the part number for what is seen but hope this helps.
Watch at least 30 seconds worth, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHdXXHxgNHA

Tim Allen

Thanks, I did see this video, but that is just how to install the regular remote turnouts, this came with nothing. I did e-mail customer service, and they said they are aware of the issue and I just need to find my receipt and they said they will fix it for me.

Thanks everyone!

shleds

I should fire them an email as well.. I just got the Super Chief set 10 days ago, with the same problem as you.