News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

SD 45 truck replacement

Started by daveh86697, February 09, 2014, 08:33:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daveh86697

Does anyone have experience in changing out the front truck/drive assembly on a Spetrum SD-45?  Mine was running rough like it had a bad connection and I took off the shell, checked the wires and the black ground fell right off the truck.  I'm not sure how to put it back or take off the truck to repair or change out. Anyone have previous experience or knowledge?  Thanks in advance!  Dave

Jerrys HO

Dave,
Removal of the shell will help in this procedure, Remove the front and rear couplers boxes and lift off the shell gently.
Turn the loco over, there is a plate that snaps off the bottom of the truck. This plate holds the side frames in place. Be careful after you remove the cover plate as when you slide the side frame off it pretty much holds most of the gears in place as to why I said to hold the loco upside down.
After you remove the side frame you will see the clips that hold the pickup wires on. They sometimes work loose. I prefer to solder them back on.
Let me know if you need anymore help.

Jerry

daveh86697

Jerry, thank you very much.  I was wondering how the bottom came off so I could get into it and maybe connect the wire back on. Thank you very much and I will try it and let you know.

Dave

richg

You will have to scrape the metal carefully and use a hot soldering pencil, not soldering iron. Use a little rosin flux and rosin core solder. With a small brush, clean with alcohol after. A shiny solder joint is usually a good solder joint.
I have done this with the truck pickups on a HO two motor 44 ton. I used an Xacto blade to scrape the contact plate.
You might have to practice with scrap wire and maybe a thin piece of sheet brass if you have not soldered before. First time might be difficult to keep from ruining anything.

Rich