News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Locomotives & rolling stock for 15" radius

Started by wallywaldau, October 06, 2007, 04:35:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallywaldau

Which Bachmann locomotives easily handle the 15" radius? I plan a long L-shaped switching layout and I only have 32" for the loop. I assume the GE 70T and 40T are OK. But is there anything bigger among the F, GP, SD, etc that will still be at home on a 15"R? For rolling stock, I plan to stay in the 40' category and smaller. Are there any older passenger cars that would be OK on the 15"R?
I love trains - my other car is an RSD-1 at Perris, CA.
I drive for the Goleta Short Line.

the Bach-man

Dear Wally,
The small switchers are clearly your best bet. Possibly you can use streetcars for your passengers.
Have fun!
the Bach-man

wallywaldau

Thanks for the streetcar suggestion. But what, if anything, is in the "small switcher" category besides the 44T, 70T, Plymouth and the 0-4-0? Would the SW, NW, RSD diesels in other lines be OK?

Beatle (TrainBrain)

Well, if it's logging/mining, a shay.

Other than that, yeah, small switchers.

Internet All-Beatles radio: http://beatlesarama.com
All you need is love and trains
Ringo Starr: 6/28/08
SC&NY Status: Drawing board, but getting closer!
-Chris

SteamGene

switchers are designed to handle small radii turns, after all. 
Gene
Chief Brass Hat
Virginia Tidewater and Piedmont Railroad
"Only coal fired steam locomotives"

Conrail Quality

If you want more variety than just switchers, an Atlas AEM-7 can handle 15" radius. It's been discontinued, but if you serach online, you can still find unused AEM-7's in SEPTA and MARC paint (you have to go to train shows or on ebay to find the more popular Amtrak or NJ Transit versions).

Timothy

Still waiting for an E33 in N-scale

RAM

any SD  would be out.  I think any road power would look out of place.  SWs might work.  I think a 4-4-0 would work.

martin_lumber

I believe anything that Bachmann makes (70t, 44t, streetcar,) has been mentioned except the Spectrum 0-6-0T and the 4-4-0

Other than that...

MDC EMD Model 40
FDT Trackmobile (Yes, I have seen a trackmobile pull a regular train)
Proto or Athearn SW600, 7, 9, 1200, or 1500

My 2 cents

Phil

ray46

Something no one has asked; if you're building a small L-shaped switching layout, why do you need a return loop?  eliminate that and you could probably build curves that would handle almost any piece of rolling stock.  As far as locomotives, since it's a switching layout you probably wouldn't see any C44-9W's anyway.  Stay with switchers, GP's and maybe an SD40-2.

Ray
"Don't let the sound of your own wheels drive you crazy."  The Eagles

kevin2083

If possible, try to work in a wye instead of the loop, since the locomotive is probably what you need to turn and not the cars.

Just my thoughts. Ignore if you want.
______
|_____|
0|||||0   
||'-#'||

willb

you don't have to limit yourself to a logging or coal line if you want to use a shay.   several were used as industrial switchers when their original owners' lines were abandoned.

Nigel

Quote from: ray46 on October 10, 2007, 09:20:19 AM
Something no one has asked; if you're building a small L-shaped switching layout, why do you need a return loop?  eliminate that and you could probably build curves that would handle almost any piece of rolling stock.  As far as locomotives, since it's a switching layout you probably wouldn't see any C44-9W's anyway.  Stay with switchers, GP's and maybe an SD40-2.

Ray

On the local UP - CP transfer in Shakopee/Savage MN I have seen GP38-2, SD40-2, SD90/43MAC, Dash 8, Dash 9 and GE-AC units.
Nigel
N&W 1950 - 1955

RAM

The Kansas City Southern used a shay to switch in downtown Kansas City Mo..

wallywaldau

The layout is an L Loop with many drop off points. I just like to run the trains around - drop off & pickup - then run around some more. Thanks for the specific suggestions - especially the AEM-7.

Guilford Guy

Quote from: wallywaldau on October 17, 2007, 11:40:53 PM
The layout is an L Loop with many drop off points. I just like to run the trains around - drop off & pickup - then run around some more. Thanks for the specific suggestions - especially the AEM-7.
Although an AEM7 may negotiate 15" I doubt amfleets, especially with close couplings will.
Alex