News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

FA-2 pick up problems,

Started by rogertra, April 19, 2014, 04:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogertra

One of my FA-2s has started to get pick up problems.

I've cleaned the backs of the wheels but it seems the bronze pick ups that rub on the backs of the wheels do not have enough pressure to maintain constant contact.

I've put my multi-meter across the front wheels to the rear wheels and there is not always continuity depending on which side the wheels and axles are slid to.  If that makes sense?  If I put the meter on the bronze pick ups, I always have continuity so this is why I feel the issue is with the bronze contacts being too flimsy and not applying enough sideways pressure on the backs of the wheels.

Anyone else have experience with this?

I've attempted to dismantle the chassis with the goal of replacing the flimsy bronze contacts with something stronger but I have problems with close up vision, which even an optivisor doesn't help with, so I gave up.

Cheers

Roger.

ALCO0001

Roger,
Seems like the new line tooling uses thin brass on the truck pickups,I REMOVE THE BOTTOM PLATE SIDEFRAME ASSEMBLY AND REMOVE THE

AXLES ,BEND THE PICKUPS OUTWARD AND CURVE THEM A LITTLE THEN REASSEMBLE.

IT HELPS!,but Bachmann shouldmake bronze replacements to keep us happy .FUNNY THING THE OLDER PLUS LINE AND OLDER SPECTRUM

UNITS USED A HEAVIER BRONZE THAT DID NOT HAVE THESE ISSUES.mANY OTHERS THAT THE NEW LINE OF LOCOS HAS FIXED,

Tell Bachmann your not happy with this issue and maybe they will make this part a little better I HOPE!
Best Regards,
Jack

Doneldon

Roger and Jack-

You can stiffen the thin bronze or brass ticklers by either soldering on a
piece of wire (flexible, not rigid like the hard temper brass rods we use in
scratch building) or just loading the tickler with solder.
                                                                                    -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on April 19, 2014, 07:59:37 PM
Roger and Jack-

You can stiffen the thin bronze or brass ticklers by either soldering on a
piece of wire (flexible, not rigid like the hard temper brass rods we use in
scratch building) or just loading the tickler with solder.
                                                                                    -- D

Good ideas Doneldon.  I'll have another go at getting the locomotive completely apart so I can get to the trucks easier.

Cheers

Roger.

rogertra

Anyone know how to remove the truck side frames or even the bottom of the truck to access and remove the wheels from the FA-2?

It will make modifying the bronze pick ups easier.

The Bachmann parts diagram is no help.  :(

Cheers

Roger.

ALCO0001

Hay,
There is a clip on each end of the sideframe/lowergear case cover in the center on each end of the truck at the bottom , turn the engine over

so the wheels are facing up , use something soft to set the engine upside down ,look between the fuel tank and the truck ,If you have

hard time seeing it , get some light on it sometimes I USE A FLASHLIGHT ,anyway pry up on the lower case cover /sideframe assembly to

release it ,then pop the axles out carefully, sometimes they are tight sometimes they fall out ,Hope this helps!
Jack

rogertra

Quote from: ALCO0001 on April 19, 2014, 10:41:26 PM
Hay,
There is a clip on each end of the sideframe/lowergear case cover in the center on each end of the truck at the bottom , turn the engine over

so the wheels are facing up , use something soft to set the engine upside down ,look between the fuel tank and the truck ,If you have

hard time seeing it , get some light on it sometimes I USE A FLASHLIGHT ,anyway pry up on the lower case cover /sideframe assembly to

release it ,then pop the axles out carefully, sometimes they are tight sometimes they fall out ,Hope this helps!
Jack

Jack.

That worked perfectly.  I'd already removed the body so it was easier to removethe bottom of the truck from the end opposite the fuel tanks but it worked.  I'd tried that move before but I guess I didn't apply enough pressure, now I know.

Thanks very much.

Roger.

electrical whiz kid

Roger; if these pickup systems are being a PIA, then just scoff them and go with a set of Tomar pickups. There will be no wheel-to-rail issue then.
RIch C.

rogertra

Quote from: electrical whiz kid on April 26, 2014, 05:59:55 PM
Roger; if these pickup systems are being a PIA, then just scoff them and go with a set of Tomar pickups. There will be no wheel-to-rail issue then.
RIch C.

Rich.

The pick up problem has been solved, engine now runs as smooth as a switch watch.

However, somehow I pulled the dark brown speaker wire from the circuit board, probably when re-installing the body and I can't figure out how to re-attach it.

It's not soldered but appears to be held in place by some form of clip with a very small hole in the centre through which you are supposed to somehow pass the bare wire.  Not a clue how to achieve this.  :(

Cheers

Roger.

electrical whiz kid

Best bit of advice:  Find out who made the decoder, call or e-mail them.  This will eliminate 98% of the guesswork.  As you know, these boards employ some pretty sensitive devices, and the wrongly placed soldering iron-or even in the case for example, of a CMOS semi-which I had the unfortunate experience of ruining many years back in just this way-a bit of static discharge-can spell the death knell to some expensive and somewhat pricey stuff.  Good luck.
Rich C.

rogertra

Problem fixed.

It seems the black plastic surround on the contact is a slip on clip.

I slid the clip off the board, inserted the wire into the hole and slide the retaining clip back into place.

VoilĂ  we now have a perfectly good running FA-2 with sound, again!   :)

utdave

i add a tiny bit of conductalube also   it helps out big time .  i do all my lighted passenger cars with conductalube on contact surfaces  less friction more conductivity