Frame Type and DCC Optiions on HO GP40, 50, 30, 35

Started by jwb, August 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwb

I notice that Bachmann has been upgrading paint, chassis, and DCC options on its HO GP40, 50, 30, and 35. However, exactly which loco has a one-piece frame and which has an 8 pin plug on the DCC board is very difficult to determine. The latest version of the GP30, for instance, is not described in standard product descriptions as DCC ready, although it has an 8 pin socket.

In an earlier post, someone noted that although the GP40 is described as DCC ready, it does not have an 8 pin socket.

Would it be possible to make it clearer which locos have which features? Among other things, it would affect what type of decoder -- hard wire or 8 pin plug -- I would order when I order a particular loco.

Bachmann has been making very worthwhile improvements to its product line, but in some ways it isn't making these improvements as well known as it could.

AGSB

Quote from: jwb on August 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM
In an earlier post, someone noted that although the GP40 is described as DCC ready, it does not have an 8 pin socket.

And the Yardman responded, "DCC Ready" does not necessarily mean that the loco has a plug and play socket. It means that the electric motor is isolated from the die cast chassis making the installation of a DCC decoder possible without modifying the way the electric motor is mounted in the chassis.

rogertra

Quote from: AGSB on August 22, 2014, 11:19:51 PM
Quote from: jwb on August 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM

And the Yardman responded, "DCC Ready" does not necessarily mean that the loco has a plug and play socket. It means that the electric motor is isolated from the die cast chassis making the installation of a DCC decoder possible without modifying the way the electric motor is mounted in the chassis.

However, has not "DCC Ready" come to accepted in the market place the loco has an eight pin plug, at least from every other manufacturer is that not the implication?

If I purchase a loco marketed as "DCC Ready", I'll darn well expect come with eight pin plug and if it doesn't have one, it goes back as false advertising.  Sorry Mr. B, but that's the way it is.

Cheers

Roger T.

Bucksco

Newer models that are DCC ready feature the 8 pin socket. Older models that were produced in the past may not - sorry Roger but that's the way it is.

ACY

Quote from: rogertra on August 23, 2014, 12:57:18 AM
However, has not "DCC Ready" come to accepted in the market place the loco has an eight pin plug, at least from every other manufacturer is that not the implication?

If I purchase a loco marketed as "DCC Ready", I'll darn well expect come with eight pin plug and if it doesn't have one, it goes back as false advertising.  Sorry Mr. B, but that's the way it is.
Actually some manufacturers such as Athearn utilize a 9 pin socket in models they call DCC ready, while others simply require soldering the wires to the appropriate location on the board on their DCC ready models. So everyone does not have an 8-pin socket in models they advertise as DCC ready contrary to your belief.

However, I am wondering if it would be possible for someone at Bachmann to compile a list of all the HO locomotives currently in production that feature an 8 pin socket. Either that or notate the presence or lack there of in the product info.

Bucksco

As I just posted - all new DCC ready Models feature the 8 pin socket. So basically all new models announced will have the socket.

rogertra

Quote from: Yardmaster on August 23, 2014, 12:18:58 PM
As I just posted - all new DCC ready Models feature the 8 pin socket. So basically all new models announced will have the socket.

That's what I figured.  Thanks for the clarification.

Cheers

Roger T.

jwb

I appreciate the clarification, although it still leaves me up in the air a little bit: if I go to the Bachmann store and read the description for the GM&O GP30 I have and know it has an 8-pin socket, I read "Features include: all-wheel drive DCC-ready with connection points for installation of a 6- or 8-wire harness decoder super-quiet,..." So this isn't completely accurate -- and in fact, based on that description, I ordered a hardwire DCC decoder, not one with an 8-pin plug. This is a little inconvenient, and it could have been fixed with somewhat more conscientious copywriting. It makes a difference, bottom line.

So now I'm thinking of ordering an Amtrak GP40. Can anyone clarify if this has an 8-pin plug or contact points? Again, this will make a difference in what I order for a decoder, and is something Bachmann should be making easier for its customers.

jward

just a thought.....

some manufacturers make decoders that have a 9 pin plug on the decoder itself. these have a detatchable wire harness. wire harnesses are available with either the 8 pin nmra plug, or the loose wires. if you use one of these types of decoders, all you have to do is change the harness not the entire decoder if you buy the wrong one. digitrax and tcs decoders are made this way, others may be as well.

worst case, you can order a decoder with the 8 pin plug, and cut it off if you don't need it.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jwb

Well, yes, but if the product description is accurate, I don't need to do all those work-arounds. That was my point. But if you think about it, aren't my questions about this entirely on topic and appropriate? So how hard can it be just to answer whether the Amtrak GP40 has an 8-pin plug?

jbrock27

I see and agree with your point.  It can be frustrating, can't it? >:(
Keep Calm and Carry On

ACY

Quote from: jwb on August 24, 2014, 11:20:31 AM
Well, yes, but if the product description is accurate, I don't need to do all those work-arounds. That was my point. But if you think about it, aren't my questions about this entirely on topic and appropriate? So how hard can it be just to answer whether the Amtrak GP40 has an 8-pin plug?
Why can't you purchase the locomotive first and then purchase a decoder after you have the locomotive in hand to check for yourself? Why do you need to purchase the decoder right away before you even have your locomotive yet?

rogertra

Quote from: ACY on August 24, 2014, 07:31:09 PM
Why can't you purchase the locomotive first and then purchase a decoder after you have the locomotive in hand to check for yourself? Why do you need to purchase the decoder right away before you even have your locomotive yet?

Why should he have to make two trips to the hobby store?  One to buy the loco and take it home, open it, then back to the store to buy the decoder.

I'm sorry but I'll stick to my earlier statement.  If it states on the box the model is "DCC Ready", then it should mean it has an eight pin plug, period!

I realise that all manufactures say it just means the motor is isolated from the chassis by I feel that's misleading.

Cheers

Roger T.

jward

the problem as I see it then, is  whether the locomotive in question was produced before or after the changeover. you'd probably have no way of knowing without looking inside. sometimes dealer stock can sit on a shelf for years, sometimes it turns over fast.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jwb

I think the question is whether it's worthwhile to post a question about a simple technical issue on a forum where a Bachmann rep is theoretically available to answer questions about simple technical issues. There's a sub-question about why some guys seem to feel that questions about simple technical issues are out of line on a forum where they should be answered.

This is disappointing: first, I'm not getting an answer, and second, that several guys seem to think I'm out of line to want to make a simple DCC install simple.