Frame Type and DCC Optiions on HO GP40, 50, 30, 35

Started by jwb, August 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACY

Quote from: jwb on August 25, 2014, 06:12:14 PMThis is disappointing: first, I'm not getting an answer, and second, that several guys seem to think I'm out of line to want to make a simple DCC install simple.
If you are purchasing the locomotive in person at a hobby shop then take the locomotive out of the box and remove the shell to check what decoder is necessary and check for adequate space. If you are purchasing online or mail order, order the locomotive first, then remove the shell to check then order the decoder. That seems pretty simple to me.

It would make sense to do this regardless of if you knew whether the locomotive had an 8 pin socket since you still wouldn't know how much space was available for decoder installation until after you removed the shell of the locomotive and checked.

Doneldon

jwb-

To coin a phrase, I feel your pain. It can be awfully frustrating trying to get an answer to what seems to be a simple question when all you get seems to be a runaround. But in this case, I don't think anyone is trying to be obtuse. On the contrary, it looks to me like people have tried too hard to be helpful.

What you need is a straightforward answer about what kind of connection you should expect to find on a, well, two, particular locomotives. Someone who actually has one or both of those can give you the short and sweet answers you seek. Instead, several posters who don't have the locos and therefore cannot give you a definitive answer have chimed in with unhelpful observations. And then there was the soapbox digression about what "DCC Ready" means or should mean.

I'm afraid that I don't have the right locos, either, so I can't offer any help. But I can suggest that those without an answer keep their lack of an answer to themselves so, hopefully, someone who can answer can squeeze in. Also, let me ask you to understand that things can get crusty or strange on any Inet board, including this one. Have a little patience with us, forgive us our follies and don't hesitate to come back. There's an awful lot of good stuff on here and it would be a shame to miss out on it.
                                              -- D

ACY

Quote from: Doneldon on August 25, 2014, 06:50:34 PM
Someone who actually has one or both of those can give you the short and sweet answers you seek.
I have a Bachmann Santa Fe GP-30 and it already has DCC. I just got a Bachmann Erie Lackawanna GP-35 and it already has DCC. I have a Bachmann Norfolk Southern GP-38-2 and it already has DCC. I have a Bachamnn Santa Fe GP-40 and it already has DCC. I have a Bachmann Norfolk Southern GP-50 and it has a split frame design and is not DCC ready by any definition. I also have a few older models of GP units all of which are split-frame and not DCC ready at all.

jward

Quote from: jwb on August 25, 2014, 06:12:14 PM
I think the question is whether it's worthwhile to post a question about a simple technical issue on a forum where a Bachmann rep is theoretically available to answer questions about simple technical issues. There's a sub-question about why some guys seem to feel that questions about simple technical issues are out of line on a forum where they should be answered.

This is disappointing: first, I'm not getting an answer, and second, that several guys seem to think I'm out of line to want to make a simple DCC install simple.

actually, you are not giving the answer you seel because we really can't give one. yardmeaster, who is a bachmann employee, has given the best answer any of us could have given. the design has changed, but the packaging hasn't. so otherwise identical locomotives made a couple of years apart could have a different setup inside. the only way to determine what you have is to look inside.

your question was not out of line, and i don't see anybody here taking you to task for asking it. it was, and still is, a valid question. unfortunately, it is also one without a simple answer.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Bucksco

Call the service department. They can answer all of your technical questions.

ALCO0001

Quote from: AGSB on August 22, 2014, 11:19:51 PM
Quote from: jwb on August 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM
In an earlier post, someone noted that although the GP40 is described as DCC ready, it does not have an 8 pin socket.

And the Yardman responded, "DCC Ready" does not necessarily mean that the loco has a plug and play socket. It means that the electric motor is isolated from the die cast chassis making the installation of a DCC decoder possible without modifying the way the electric motor is mounted in the chassis.
It is common mainstay in the industry! Come on! many motors are isolated from the frame in the industry that are dc.The 8 pin or 9 pin plug is the standard, not an isolated motor!I have seen this before as an answer and it is funny you still use it  ;D
Jack

ALCO0001

Friend,
There is an earlier post about this issue with a gp 50 .Seems the part numbers did not keep up with the change over and hopefully the catalog people will catch it next time.If there is some sort of a issue with a new purchase contact the service manager she is the Best ;D
Jack

richg

Quote from: ALCO0001 on August 27, 2014, 03:25:14 PM
Quote from: AGSB on August 22, 2014, 11:19:51 PM
Quote from: jwb on August 22, 2014, 02:58:30 PM
In an earlier post, someone noted that although the GP40 is described as DCC ready, it does not have an 8 pin socket.

And the Yardman responded, "DCC Ready" does not necessarily mean that the loco has a plug and play socket. It means that the electric motor is isolated from the die cast chassis making the installation of a DCC decoder possible without modifying the way the electric motor is mounted in the chassis.
It is common mainstay in the industry! Come on! many motors are isolated from the frame in the industry that are dc.The 8 pin or 9 pin plug is the standard, not an isolated motor!I have seen this before as an answer and it is funny you still use it  ;D
Jack

With all the train forums I belong to, I see a few times a year. Many make "assumptions"  about different facets of DCC. The digital version is quite different from the analogue version. That will vary among different manufacturers. Here comes the question, why can't they all be the same? lol

Manufactures expect modelers to have some knowledge of the hobby.

Google should be a persons best friend.

Rich

jbrock27

Keep Calm and Carry On

richg

Just remembered, when i bought my first HO Spectrum 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 with small tender DCC ready with eight pin socket, there was not enough room for a plug in a sound decoder and speaker, even though there was a speaker hole. They were designed to accommodate the up coming SoundTraxx decoder.
Once I knew what I had, I then ordered the Tsunami Micro and hard wired it.
End of subject.
I did not have what the Bach-Man would say was an agenda.

Rich