News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

EZ track terminal with screws

Started by hamilton77, August 30, 2014, 12:14:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamilton77

I have a quantum engineer that requires running 2 wires to the track and has the spade lugs ends. I haven't been able to find any ez track terminal that has the screws. Does bachmann make such a thing?  Thanks

jbrock27

Screws come on old school sectional terminal track, w/o plastic roadbed.
I am not sure what you are asking/trying to do.  Can you be more specific?  For example, when you say "spade" do you mean the kind that are forked or the kind that are either flat "male" or open "female" pieces of metal that join into each other?
I looked up Quantum Engineer-this is Atlas correct?
Keep Calm and Carry On

hamilton77

Thanks jbrock.  The quantum engineer is from atlas.  It has 2 sets of wires with what I think are called spade lugs at the ends. They're the gold u shaped ends that screw in. One set goes to the transformer and the other set goes to the track so it can issue sound commands to the engines. Atlas true track has a terminal track with screws, was hoping ez track has something comparable.  I see they do have a track, part 44597 that's called a power terminal straight track with insulated gap. Not sure if there are screws underneath it or not.

Thanks again

jbrock27

You're welcome.
I am not familiar with that part as I don't customarily use EZ track.  Sorry.  But, I did buy some EZ track recently to set up around the Xmas tree and what I did is I soldered a wire to the side of each rail on one section of track and I connect these wires to my DC power pack.  This serves as my "terminal track" if you will.  Can you solder?

This device you have, can it produce sounds on DC analog locos or is something special needed on the loco to produce the sound?
Keep Calm and Carry On

hamilton77

The quantum engineer was designed for people who have DC layouts and atlas gold engines with qsi sound decoders. Some other manufacturers with qsi decoders will work too like blma. It doesn't produce the sounds in and of itself, the locos still have to do that.  The device activates the sounds and the advantage of it is all of the functions are in easy to use buttons. If you google a pic of it, you'll see what I mean, I'm surprised there aren't more devices like this as it makes things so much easier to play sounds. Just wish it was dcc compatible.

Thanks for the tips on soldering, I have done it but am even more of an amateur in that regard than I am with model trains :-).  I may try to get the atlas terminal track and try to adjust it somehow to work with the ez track. I'd consider switching to true-track but they don't offer 15" radius like bachmann does. In addition, I have a bunch of ez track and some accessories.  Can't wait to start running some trains.

jbrock27

Yes, I had seen that when I looked up to see what it was.  Thank you for the info.
The more practice with soldering and the right gun/pencil/station, makes soldering a snap.
Re: 15" R curves, in the event you don't know this already-that's very tight and pretty much restricts to running 4 axle diesels and shorter steamers (I profess though to know little to nothing about steamers).
Good luck and have fun.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Jerrys HO

If you are using EZ track already and have purchased the power terminal track plug one end in to the terminal track and cut the other side off, then cut the spades off and connect with terminal joiners or solder them.

The terminal rail w/ insul gaps you mention is used with the reverse loop module. There is hook ups under neath for the modules wiring harness and there are screws with tabs also to
gap the track. I do not think the connections from your wiring will work unless they are super small. Usually the connectors going to the transformer is bigger than the screws under the insulated power terminal track.

Jerry