News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Things started off so good.

Started by gregw66, September 11, 2014, 01:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gregw66

I had an old 2 motor 44 Tonner that I dug out of storage to find it had a cracked axle problem. Initial conversation with Bachmann was very good. Sent the unit away, and they called to say they would replace the chassis with a new one. So far, so good. Today the unit arrived back in the mail. I was suspicious as the box rattled a great deal. I opened it to discover one truck side frame and a wheel was loose in the box. Not good. I took the shell off and looked closely at the offending truck. It seems the metal "frame" of the truck is bent on that side. I pushed the wheel back in and if it is supposed to be a press fit, it fails. The split axle is very loose in the plastic gear. Maybe some glue? I don't know. It runs. But isn't particularly smooth or quiet. Not even sure I want to detail and paint this up for a CN unit or not. I have too much $ invested in it to sell it except for a loss. I have the original price, plus shipping back to them plus the $45 repair bill.

Dissapointed.

GregW66

richg

I would definitely call Bachmann. Something has changed there.

About three years ago I had a two motor with cracked gear. Sent the loco in with a check for required money and got back a new single motor DCC ready 44 ton.

Rich

gregw66

To their credit it is a single motor DCC ready chassis. Just a partially broken one.

richg

Quote from: gregw66 on September 11, 2014, 01:39:28 PM
To their credit it is a single motor DCC ready chassis. Just a partially broken one.

I do remember the loco was not packed very well but came in just fine. I have to assume the Post Office threw the box underhanded. No over handed. lol

Rich

gregw66

Yes, it may have had some rough handling. However, the press fit of the wheel onto the gear should not be so loose. Ditto with the press fit of the sideframe. For me, it puts into question Bachmann's quality. I believe both problems can be fixed with a little glue of some kind. Something strong but not permanent, if I have to take a sideframe off for any reason.

Rough handling also does not account for the bent metal.

GregW66

jbrock27

Rich, I think you deserve The Broken Record award for telling the same poster (gregw66) 3 seperate times, on 3 different threads, your story about your 44 toner.  I guess the first time was not enough?
And that does not even include the countless other times the rest of us have heard it.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Bucksco

http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

To contact the service department call (215) 533-1600 during Bachmann's normal operating hours (see link above from the service section of the webpage). Ask for the service manager Laura Harris.

Bachmann does everything possible to keep you, the customer happy. If you are not happy with the service you have received they will do everything possible to correct the situation.

Doneldon

Quote from: Yardmaster on September 11, 2014, 04:48:16 PM
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php

To contact the service department call (215) 533-1600 during Bachmann's normal operating hours (see link above from the service section of the webpage). Ask for the service manager Laura Harris.

Bachmann does everything possible to keep you, the customer happy. If you are not happy with the service you have received they will do everything possible to correct the situation.

Thanks, YM. Your attitude shows the reason so many of us are Bachmann fans. You stand behind
your products as much as anyone in the business and better than most.
                                                                                                              -- D

gregw66

Sent email 24 hours ago, no response. Called this morning and the service manager was on break, called back 15 minutes later, left voicemail. No response this afternoon. Called again, left another voicemail.

It's Friday and I give up for this week, I'll get back to it on Monday morning. >:(

gregw66

I stand corrected. I left my home late in the afternoon and returned to a voicemail from Bachmann's Service manager. They have indicated they will call me on Monday since I missed their call.

Thank you.

gregw66

It took a while to get in touch with each other, but Bachmann has offered to send me a brand new locomotive to replace the one that is giving me trouble.

GregW66

mabloodhound

Bachmann is a good company to deal with and the service department is tops.
Dave Mason

D&G RR (Dunstead & Granford) in On30
"In matters of style, swim with the current;
in matters of principle, stand like a rock."   Thos. Jefferson

The 2nd Amendment, America's 1st Homeland Security