News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Identify my equipment

Started by Salrindsrt, September 27, 2014, 02:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Salrindsrt

I have recently acquired what I believe to be NOS HO Gauge diesel locomotives. They are identified as follows :
Bachmann Plus EMD-F7A SF War Bonnet #306L Item # 11223

"          "     "     "      "    "        "     #309L Item # 11224

"          "     "    F7B   "    "        "     #314B Item # 11225

These items were in with some old HO gauge train things I acquired recently. I believe they are in NOS condition and the Item # 1124 still has the cellophane wrapper on it.

I would appreciate any information anyone can give me about these Train

Hunt

No. 11223,  F7A ATSF #306 Red and Silver -1st Bachmann Plus Release 1994

No. 11224,  F7A ATSF #309 Red and Silver -1st Bachmann Plus Release 1994

No. 11225,  F7B ATSF #314B Red and Silver -1st Bachmann Plus Release 1994

Yours could be part of a production run after 1994.

If your unasked question is about what they are worth; worth very little. Check eBay and other online auction sites to see what people are paying.

rogertra

Contrary to what some will tell you, the prices for HO scale or N scale plastic steam or diesel models are not high, no matter how "collectable" some people will try to tell you they are.

Especially for non "Spectrum" range models.  I can't say more as that would be unkind to our hosts.

Cheers.

Roger T.

jbrock27

See ya on Ebay Salrindsrt

Thanks so much for stopping by.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Doneldon

Quote from: rogertra on September 27, 2014, 09:00:48 PM
Contrary to what some will tell you, the prices for HO scale or N scale plastic steam or diesel models are not high, no matter how "collectable" some people will try to tell you they are. Especially for non "Spectrum" range models.  I can't say more as that would be unkind to our hosts.

Roger-

I don't think the B'man would be offended by your stating that Bachmann merchandise lacks collector value. They know that the trains they sell are intended for use and enjoyment, not storage in a dark closet for years and sold at a handsome profit. He probably would take offense if you said that Bachmann products have no collector value but some other brand of plastic models does. But you would never say that because you know it wouldn't be true.

What's more, I don't think the B'man would take offense by someone saying that Bachmann trains aren't investment worthy but Division Point or some Marklin models are. The reason is that Bachmann and Division Point aren't competitors and Markin is on only selected pieces. Again, the B'man knows the score. He isn't trying to win customers from Division Point or Marklin. It's like saying that Bachmann trains have no investment value but a 1958 Chevy Bel Air convertible does. The comparison isn't even apples and oranges; it's more like apples and mattresses.

I don't want anyone to read me wrong on this. I am in no way besmirching Bachmann trains. I think they are excellent models which offer excellent performance and reliability at fair prices. I personally have more Bachmann trains than any other brand, by a significant margin.
                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

ACY

I have to disagree with the statement that all plastic models don't have collector value. I will agree that Bachmann Ho & N models don't have any collector value with possibly the very rare exception. I do know of a few Rivarossi models that have some collector value since the model was only produced in brass otherwise aside from the Rivarossi/AHM model. One locomtive I always see selling for $150-200 depending on condition is the Santa Fe 4-6-4 Blue Goose. Generally though if you buy locotomives with the intent to make money down the line you will not have much luck. Especially in the case of newer models and older low end train set quality locomotives. Of course even the locomotives with some "collectability" still have a limited value.  Most plastic Ho locomotives assuming no sound or dcc will not be worth more than $300, with your standard diesel worth nomore than $10-20 and a standard steam engine being no more than $30-40, with some lower quality locomotives in the $5-10 like many diesel locos. Larger articulated locomotives can be worth up to $200 depending on condition.

At the end of the day 99% of older plastic HO & N scale locomotives are not worth more than $20. And you would be lucky to even get $5 for many of them.

jbrock27

Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing plastic HO locos are collectibles, but Sellers and Buyers on Ebay need to read your above post ACY bc it is rare as the dodo when I don't see a loco (decent not pancake motor junk) go for well above 20 bucks, not including shipping.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Desertdweller

I think it all comes down to simply demand and supply.  There just isn't a lot of demand for used low-end stuff, or even low-end new old stock.  At a train show last weekend, I passed up an N-scale Rivarossi new-old-stock 5-axle Fairbanks-Morse C-liner in Santa Fe paint in original box for $20.

This is a prototype that was used by only a handful of northeastern railroads, painted for a road that never used them.  It would not have fit in to my Denver-centered model railroad.  Making it worse, this 1960's-era model drove through the rear truck only, with a weak plastic-framed can motor.  I had experience with one of these before, and it didn't last long.  It was not a state of the art loco even for its era.

$20 is not much to ask for anything that runs, especially for something new in box.  That price was probably pretty close for what it sold for in its day retail.  I was a little tempted to buy it as a curiosity, but really had no use for it.

1958 Chevys:  I remember very well when one could by a driveable example for $200-$500.  There again, it was a situation of supply and demand.  I bought a 1957 Chevy 2-door for that kind of money.  Back then, it was just another old car, although a rather flashy one.

Les

Doneldon

Quote from: ACY on September 28, 2014, 06:31:43 PM
I have to disagree with the statement that all plastic models don't have collector value. I do know of a few Rivarossi models that have some collector value since the model was only produced in brass otherwise aside from the Rivarossi/AHM model. One locomtive I always see selling for $150-200 depending on condition is the Santa Fe 4-6-4 Blue Goose. Of course even the locomotives with some "collectability" still have a limited value. Most plastic Ho locomotives assuming no sound or dcc will not be worth more than $300, with your standard diesel worth nomore than $10-20 and a standard steam engine being no more than $30-40, with some lower quality locomotives in the $5-10 like many diesel locos. Larger articulated locomotives can be worth up to $200 depending on condition.

ACY-

You have proven my point while taking exception to it. A $200 Blue Goose represents a decline in value from the purchase price, not an example of a good investment. And those top-of-the-line $300 plastic locos you mentioned? They all cost substantially more than $300 new unless someone found a great sale or a going-out-of-business clearance.

I'll stand by my earlier statement: There are no plastic locomotives with any value as an investment. There are some terrific plastic locos out there, with great detail and outstanding performance. But even those will go down in value as time passes.
                                                                                                                                       -- D

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on September 28, 2014, 04:30:20 PM

I don't want anyone to read me wrong on this. I am in no way besmirching Bachmann trains. I think they are excellent models which offer excellent performance and reliability at fair prices. I personally have more Bachmann trains than any other brand, by a significant margin.
                                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

I agree, my Bachmann locomotive fleet out numbers all the rest combined.  The Spectrum range is excellent and actually started the whole trend to better motors and details.

If it wasn't for the Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0, I'd still be modelling 1977 rather than 1958.  That 2-8-0 was the best HO scale rtr steam loco produced by anyone in the world at that time.  It definitely set the standard for all future HO rtr plastic steam.

Just look at the photo on my websites to see how much I like Spectrum.  :)

Cheers

Roger T.

rogertra

Quote from: Doneldon on September 28, 2014, 08:47:39 PM

You have proven my point while taking exception to it. A $200 Blue Goose represents a decline in value from the purchase price, not an example of a good investment. And those top-of-the-line $300 plastic locos you mentioned? They all cost substantially more than $300 new unless someone found a great sale or a going-out-of-business clearance.

I'll stand by my earlier statement: There are no plastic locomotives with any value as an investment. There are some terrific plastic locos out there, with great detail and outstanding performance. But even those will go down in value as time passes.
                                                                                                                                       -- D

I agree, 100%, there is no collector value in 99% of plastic locomotives, steam or diesel.

Cheers

Roger T.

jbrock27

Yep, meant to be run an enjoyed during the time they last, not bought for appreciation of value.  Definitely.
Keep Calm and Carry On