News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

RMC sold

Started by Woody Elmore, October 10, 2014, 11:32:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woody Elmore

I was surprised to hear that Railroad Model Craftsman  and Railroad and Ralfan (among others) has been sold. Apparently Carstens Publications suffered the fate of a lot of print media. The whole operation was sold to White River publications  at the cend of August.

I started reading RMC when it was printed on comic book paper. I have subscribed for at least 40 years and am glad that the magazine will still be published. I found it to be less formal than Model Railroader (which I've also subscribed to for 40 years.)

I wish the new owners well. Losing RMC would be very bad for the hobby (which is already declining.)

jonathan

I read the same thing recently, though I can't remember where.

I always enjoyed RMC.  Could be my imagination, but I always thought that magazine focused more on the artistry of modeling, while Model Railroader focused more toward the technical aspects. When working on my own alternate universe, I feel more like an artist than an engineer.

Part of the sad saga of print media, is the 90% commercial vs. 10% content.  The cost of doing business, I know.  The lack of content has turned me off from print media over the years.

I hate to admit it, but I learn more about modeling from youtube and forums than I do from print media.  Sad really.

I must be getting old.  :)

Regards,

Jonathan

bapguy

They were having trouble with the printing company  and then Hurricane Sandy came.  Joe

Doneldon

Woody-

I wasn't aware of this until now. Thank you for this important information.

I've been an RMC reader for many, many years but I did allow my subscription to lapse a few years ago simply because it has become so difficult to keep up with all of the magazines and journals I read. I'm one of those people who finds all of life to be stimulating so I read current events, archeology, DIY, motoring, food, mental health,  international affairs and arts magazines, plus the Smithsonian and National Geographic.

RMC always seems to me like more of a, well, craftsman publication, as opposed to the more basic how-to-do-it Model Railroader. I must admit that my decision to drop RMC and keep MR was strongly influenced by MR's fancier graphic and color style. I suppose that makes me a bit shallow. But I'm glad that RMC will still be published because it makes valuable contributions to our hobby and I always enjoy it when I pick up a copy.
                                                                                                                                                                                -- D

Woody Elmore

Jonathan - I teach graduate school and my students get a master's degree. Every semester I do a poll as to from where they get there information. In one group[ of 27 I had three who read any newspaper and four who listened to either am/fm radio or satellite. One girl said she had satellite radio only because her husband liked the sports channels.  Several told me that they get their news and other information from Twitter!

MR has tons of video and yes, Youtube is great. However L like the idea of having something in front me while I read. Not only does a magazine inform but it also catches my cookie crumbs!

Doneldon

Woody-

I'm with you. The Inet is fine for research and looking up some details or columnists who
don't appear in the local paper, but nothing is better than sitting don with a cup of coffee
and a real live paper in my hands.
                                                      -- D

jward

white river  has some good magazines in their portfolio. hopefully, we can get back a model railroad magazine worth buying, one that hasn't been dumbed down to the point of irrelevancy. something like, say, a model rr equivalent of ctc board, whose layout articles make it seem like you are actually there.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Desertdweller

White River Publications produces some excellent hard-cover, glossy paper railroad books.  If they keep their quality standards with RMC, it will be a well-produced product.

I prefer RMC over MR, primarily because of their editorial policy of favoring creativity and not constantly pushing the products of the advertisers.  The emphasis needs to be on modeling and operating, not gadgetry.

I gave up on MR because of a lack of articles on N-scale model railroads, and emphasis on electronics.

Les

Albert in N

A good magazine with a cup of coffee is about as good as it gets.  RMC was a favorite but seemed to fall further and further behind.  I finally had enough and called Carstens Publications back in mid July cancelling my current subscription.  The lady promised to refund my unused subscription.  On August 8th, the June issue of RMC arrived with lots of stale meeting notices and new products news.  Then I found that White River Publications had bought RMC and their website said that subscribers would receive the same number of months left on subscription once publications restarted.  Has anyone received anything newer than June 2014 RMC? 

Doneldon

This topic presents an excellent opportunity to mention the free e-zine Model Railroad Hobbyist and
the print Model Railroad News. I've been pleased with what I've seen in them.
                                                                                                                       -- D

charon

Albert,
All you have to do is call Whiteriver. June was last issue. Existing subscriptions will be honored. Next issue, a combined July, August, September and October, will be out in two weeks.  One month later a combined November, December issue. In January they said they will resume monthly issues.
Chuck
Mesquite Short Line

Piyer

The July-October 2014 issue of RMC arrived in the mail today (October 23rd) here in New York City.
~AJ Kleipass~
Proto-freelance modeling the Tri-State System c.1942
The layout is based upon the operations of the Delaware Valley Railway,
the New York, Susquehanna & Western, the Wilkes-Barre & Eastern,
the Middletown & Unionville, and the New York, Ontario & Western.

ebtnut

Same here in DC.  Understand there's a new Railfan in the mail too.

Woody Elmore

I also received the latest RMC and was glad to see that there were few changes - and those were minor like changing a font.. Having said that, I'm sure the new piublishers will make some changes.