Using Banhmann Commander with Digitrax Controllers

Started by ggbenn, November 10, 2014, 08:55:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggbenn

Does anyone know if the Digitrax decoder can be programmed with the EZ Command controller? If so, how is it done?

Thanks.

ACY

It cannot be done. You must purchase a Dynamis system for advanced CV programming.

Doneldon

gg-

You cannot program decoders with the EZCommand, other than setting which end of the loco is the front and [sort of] the loco's address. But ... any full-featured DCC system can program any manufacturer's decoders. Note that I am not including DCC-mimicking systems such as DCS with this statement.
                                                -- D

Bucksco

The Bachmann EZ Command unit will program locomotive and accessory addresses.

Ken G Price

Quote from: Yardmaster on November 11, 2014, 08:33:36 AM
That is true up to a point. 
But the Dynamis for programming CV's, gives one a lot more options.
Ken G Price N-Scale out west. 1995-1996 or so! UP, SP, MoPac.
Pictures Of My Layout, http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/kengprice/

Doneldon

Quote from: Yardmaster on November 11, 2014, 08:33:36 AM

YM-

Technically true, but barely. EZ-C can program addresses and which end is the front for mobile decoders. However, addresses can only be assigned 1-10 to comply with the EZ-C's format; you cannot program cab numbers unless you change all loco numbers to the range 1 through 10. It is impossible to program decoders, whether sound or silent, to select a whistle from what's available on the decoder, set momentum or braking, customize lighting effects, speed match locos, select motion starting points, map effects or set CVs.

I'll grant that EZ-C can program addresses within a very narrow range which will  rarely correspond to a loco's number. And I acknowledge that EZ-C can tell a decoder which end is the front of a loco. However, it can program nothing else. The addresses and direction variables are the absolute minimum required to operate a locomotive in any way. Without them the EZ-C couldn't run trains or accessories at all. This ability is so limited that I don't consider the EZ-C able to program.

So ... the EZ-C can program a tiny bit, but nothing even remotely like what model rails expect when we talk about programming.
                                                                                                                                                                                             -- D

Bucksco

A friendly reminder that EZ Command is a beginner unit designed to be easy for beginners to use and learn DCC theory. This also accounts for the fact that it costs a lot less than a full fledged DCC system.