News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spares for older Box Cars

Started by tobytrees, November 23, 2014, 06:18:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tobytrees

Hi
I was talking to one of your UK reps at a model rail exhibition in Birmingham UK yesterday to ask if it was possible to get spares for your older Box Cars.  He was unsure, but recommended that I use your Forum to ask the question. I have a number of older 41' Box Cars, Item No. 43-1000-01, fitted with Talgo bogies (trucks I believe you call them). Is it possible to get replacement trucks to the modern specification.  Talgo trucks were, I believe a cheap option in those days and are now showing great signs of age.  Can you help?

Thanks

Traintrees     

Bucksco

You should contact the Bachmann Parts department:
http://www.bachmanntrains.com/home-usa/service.php
If you prefer to email send a note to the parts manager at wallaceb@bachmanntrains.com
(can't guarantee that the postage to the U.K. will be very affordable though...)

Doneldon

toby-

I urge you in the strongest terms not to replace your Talgo trucks with new Talgo trucks. They are filled with operational problems which have no reasonable work around. Instead, use separate, body-mounted couplers and trucks without the Talgo arm. You can even use your existing trucks with the coupler arms removed but, in any event, please don't install new Talgo trucks.
                                                                                                                                                                 -- D

tobytrees

Thanks for the advice.  I was aware that the older trucks were questionable, not so the modern ones.  That said, whose trucks are best suitable as replacements, without too much plastic engineering?

ACY

Quote from: tobytrees on November 24, 2014, 05:07:53 AM
Thanks for the advice.  I was aware that the older trucks were questionable, not so the modern ones.  That said, what trucks are best suitable as replacements, without too much plastic engineering?
I would suggest to retain the old trucks and cut off the boxes and body mount boxes. Regardless of what trucks (bogies) you use, you will still have to body mount the couplers as installing another set of talgo trucks would be pointless and a waste of money. In my opinion, it is not worth the trouble and expense of installing new trucks in this case. If your trucks are currently held in place with a metal screw then any north american style trucks would be suitable replacements. However if your trucks currently snap into place with a plastic mechanism,  it would require a bit of additional work to install trucks with a metal screw.

tobytrees

All the trucks are plastic mounted, but I think the fitting of screw mounted trucks and body mounting the couplers is a problem I can deal with.  I think my question now is whose trucks I should use as replacements. Some Kadee ones are available in the UK, but I am not sure which ones would suite my Box Cars. 

rogertra

Quote from: tobytrees on November 24, 2014, 06:16:16 AM
All the trucks are plastic mounted, but I think the fitting of screw mounted trucks and body mounting the couplers is a problem I can deal with.  I think my question now is whose trucks I should use as replacements. Some Kadee ones are available in the UK, but I am not sure which ones would suite my Box Cars.  

Ah, now I get the Talgo truck fascination, you're in the UK.  :)

For some strange reason, both UK manufacturers and hobbyists like Talgo bogies (trucks) on rolling stock equipped with bogies (trucks) over body mounted couplers.  Even Bachmann's top of the line rolling stock features Talgo bogies/trucks.

As can be seen in this Bachmann UK example: -

http://www.bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/34-053.jpg&cat_no=34-053&info=0&width=650&height=225

We've had this discussion about Talgo bogies/trucks Vs body mounted trucks many times on some of the UK groups I belong to and even the finest UK modellers think Talgo bogies/trucks are the best way to go.

Cheers.

Roger T.

tobytrees

Thank for that - I've contacted Bachmann here in the UK but they cannot supply replacements. Perhaps you may know, what is the best type of either Kadee or Intermountain trucks to replaces these with. 
Thanks 

Colin

ACY

Quote from: tobytrees on November 25, 2014, 07:00:32 AM
Thanks for that - I've contacted Bachmann here in the UK but they cannot supply replacements. Perhaps you may know, what is the best type of either Kadee or Intermountain trucks to replaces these with. 
There is not one specific type of truck that would be correct for all the rolling stock you are seeking to upgrade. Upgrading will likely be more expensive than simply buying replacement rolling stock. I know there are many shops in the UK that stock American rolling stock, particularly Bachmann. It will likely cost you in the range of 10-12 pounds per piece of rolling stock. I am not sure what the going rate is for a new piece of Bachmann rolling stock, but I would guess about 8 pounds for the economy line of rolling stock.

tobytrees

I guess on purely financial grounds you are quite right.  However these are cars I bought whilst working in the US quite a few years ago so for sentimental reasons I would quite like to get them converted.  Can you give me an idea which trucks might be in keeping with these 41 ft box Cars?
Thanks

Bucksco

Might be easier just to replace the cars chassis with a newer one.

jward

40 foot boxcars were built mainly before 1960. as such, most of them had the older friction bearing trucks, often called Bettendorf, rather than the newer roller bearing style.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA