News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

help!!

Started by jdgrimm, November 23, 2014, 05:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdgrimm

I bought a pacific flyer ho to use as my first train.  I had it running to "break it in" for about two hours.  The train stopped running, know the light on the front comes on but it will not run.  What could be the issue? Again, first train first day :(

jbrock27

Anything hot to the touch?  Like the loco or power pack?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jdgrimm

jbrock27

So while the light is on, it does not sound like the motor or wheels are turning or trying to turn?  Any humming?
Do you know how to take the shell off?
Do you have another loco to try on the track and see what happens?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jdgrimm

I do not hear anything, this is my first train so I do not know how to take the shell off.  I do not have another ta=rain either but I'm guessing I may have to buy another

jbrock27

If you are saying that bc you feel all is lost with this one, don't yet, as that may be far from the case.
What model and make loco is this?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jdgrimm

it is a pacific flyer, just a less expensive one,
bachmann

jdgrimm

by the way I certainly appreciate you helping me. 

plint

You can always take it back where you bought it.   Let them assume the responsibility. It is THEIR problem if you just got it.
By the grace of God go I in Amherst NH.

jward

pacific flyer has the usra 0-6-0. this locomotive shouldn't have failed after two hours use.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

You're more than welcome JD.  I am sorry for your troubles :(.

Let try simple then: is the track dirty?  Are the wheels on the loco dirty?  Have you cleaned either one before?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jdgrimm

i did wipe them down after the train failed but no change.  I bought it out of town as we do not have a hobby shop that sell trains.  I'm going to try to get another engine that should help determine if it is the track or the train.  I also am going to contact Bachmann today

jward

the fact that the headlight is lit tells me it is not the track. a lit headlight indicates the locomotive is getting power.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Jeff, like I had said, simple first.

I have had an Led light on a loco, but the loco would not move, also indicating power was getting to the loco from the track.  It turned out, the locos's wheels were dirty (as well as the track) and once the wheels were cleaned on the loco, back in action it went.  (As an aside, I do believe the crud was caused by plastic wheelsets and/or the black paint coming off Kadee wheelsets.) 

What have been your suggestions?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jdgrimm

No other suggestions besides yours.  I did reach Bachmann today and they said to send it back to them and they would look at it.  Hopefully the fixed or new train gives me the joy that it looks like all on here get from these little trains!!