News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

New Ho train Kit

Started by MrMoose, December 13, 2014, 12:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhanecker2

Gentlemen :  I do hope you all have a Happy New Year .  Jbrock27  , you heard right it was on the internet recently .   I was a fan of both the Addams Family and the Munsters , both shows  created an interesting perspective on family social interactions .    Being  called  "pedantic"  is not the worst thing  I have been called , some of that is true ,  but  I was  A Quality Control /  Assurance  Inspector and it definitely comes with the job .  Been looking through catalogs  and trying to get the shop cleaned out & more organized so that  I could actually do some modeling .  First day of a new year and Hope springs eternal .     Have a Good Evening. John2 .

MrMoose

A little update:

I have the foam board laid down, and I have all my track except for one turn out which should be here soon.
I will post pictures soon. Thats it for now.

MrMoose

Here is a pic of my progress with my layout.

jbrock27

Looking good Moose is Loose :)  What's the grade come to on the risers?
Keep Calm and Carry On

MrMoose

guslcp

Grades are usually defined in terms of percentages.  In other words, the change in elevation per 100 units of track, such as a 3% grade, which is a 3 inch rise over 100 inches of run.
So, what is the grade in these terms..??

Gus.

MrMoose

3%, 3%,3%,3% hope you got that...lol

ebtnut

OK, here's pedantic.  In 1866 the Lehigh Valley RR and the Lehigh and Mahanoy RR were consolidated.  The master mechanic designed a new freight locomotive and to commemorate the merged rail lines he call the 2-8-0 type a Consolidation.  The name stuck and is still used today. 

rogertra

And the 2-8-2 was allegedly first used in Japan, hence the name "Mikado".

Cheers

Roger T.

electrical whiz kid

Don't rely only on what you have for supports.  Put some cross-bracing on the assembly.  You will be better off; especially if the existing set-up takes a nice sharp blow.
SGT C.

MrMoose

Well I got a little more work done on my layout. I drilled the holes for all the turnout wiring to go thru the plywood.
I glued the incline and decline down to the foam board and I glued the track down to the incline and decline foam.
Installed all the magnets to my spurs. Now I can start fastening the track to the foam.... In order for the screws to hold I have to go thru 2" of foam and into the plywood. The screws have to be 3" long for that to work. I'm going to drill a small hole thru the ez track between to ties and then countersink the hole so the screw head will be flush with the top of the ties. This way if I want or need to remove track i can do it with out messing with dry glue. Got my track all screwed down. Now I can start on all the wiring.

TooT, TooT...Keep on railroading!!!

jbrock27

Where did you find these screws?  And what size (not length) are they Moosey?
Keep Calm and Carry On

MrMoose

Quote from: jbrock27 on January 30, 2015, 10:13:00 PM
Where did you find these screws?  And what size (not length) are they Moosey?

They are #8 drywall screws. I would of liked to use #6 but they don't make them 3" long just 2-1/2".
If I would of went with just 1" foam then I would of had no issues with length.

jbrock27

I like the idea, but weren't the heads of the screws too big to fit between the ties?  I guess when you countersunk, you had to take some material away from the ties so the screw head was flush with the roadbed, while fitting between 2 ties?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

wouldn't it be better to test your track before you screw it down? also, you will want to make sure you don't screw down too tight or you will deform the track.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA