News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Classic Electric locomotives

Started by steamerthesteamtrain, December 18, 2014, 10:45:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geared Steam

I would purchase a Little Joe, boxcabs and a BiPolar if available.

I missed both the MTH offerings unfortunately, at the time they were out of my reach.

jward

i would l not buy any of them.  i am like most modellers, my limited budget goes for things i can actually use. i'm sorry that this isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes reality sucks. you've been told repeatedly there is no market for an inexpensive model of any of those electrics, but you refuse to believe this. the horse has died, let it rest in peace.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

steamerthesteamtrain

Quote from: jward on December 21, 2014, 09:04:13 PM
i would l not buy any of them.  i am like most modellers, my limited budget goes for things i can actually use. i'm sorry that this isn't what you want to hear, but sometimes reality sucks. you've been told repeatedly there is no market for an inexpensive model of any of those electrics, but you refuse to believe this. the horse has died, let it rest in peace.

i know there is no market for them already

electrical whiz kid

Jeff;
There may not be a good market, but one can certainly take what is available and build what they want around it.  To me, the only major obstacle is the catenary system, but that can be gotten around as well.  As far as the dying spabine critter, Depends where you are at.  Here in Ct, there is certainly a following, per the legacy the New Haven had left.
Rich
(SGT C)

jward

new haven electrics may be a bit different. they were high visibility in their day, but those were not what the op was asking about, I do agree that if you want something not available, you can either look for a brass model or try to scratchbuild one. there is a third way, at least for the boxcab type electrics. perhaps you could interest one of the resin kit makers to make a resin kit fir the body. but in order to do that, you'd have to have suitable running gear available for this type and you'd have to supply plans and commit to buying a certain number of kits. resin kits are not cheap, and they are not easy to build but the results can be impressive.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Jeff;
They sure can!  I have built up a lot of Steve Funaro's kits and they are great looking cars.  In this world of model railroading, there are a great many kits that could be used as a base.  Fratesa is only one of many companies.  This Brasillian company puts together a double-ended electric that at first glance, is a dead ringer for the EP-4, or EF-3.  A fair amount of work would be needed to pull off an exact replica but it can be done.  The other daunting thing is that a lot of electric prototype roads were massive in their facilities, as they were fairly urban.
Sarge C

electrical whiz kid

Jeff;
I also just had a brainstorm:  The GG-1 wheel arrangement is suited for NH EF-3 and EP-4.  It is also suited for an EP-3.  These motors were mainstays on the NH.  It was surprising when McGuiness decided to dead-line any of them, as they were universally a pretty good rig to run and maintain.  My guess is [that] if one wanted to, he could, with a bit of cash outlay, make a "Little Joe", BI-Polar, or any of the Cleveland Terminal heavier class motors.  The makin's are there.
Rich
(SGT C)

jward

it all depends on how badly you want them, what you're willing to do to get them. scratchbuilding is becoming a lost art in this age of ready to run. as for the new haven, they've always been one of my favourites, especially the maybrook line.

Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

steamerthesteamtrain

i am not the scratch building type.

ACY

Quote from: steamerthesteamtrain on December 25, 2014, 02:57:26 AM
i am not the scratch building type.
Then you are also the type without any of the electric locomotives you want. :)

electrical whiz kid

Yeah, Steam;
Unless you are willing to shell out some serious dinero for brass, you will enevitably have to build what you want.  Scratch-building is indeed, becoming a lost art.  I am glad I can.
RIch (SGT C)

Doneldon

Steam-

There's an awful lot of satisfaction in watching a scratch-built product roll down the tracks for the
first time. Or even a heavily adapted, kitbashed one. Model rails who ignore these parts of the hobby
are missing out on two of the most rewarding parts of the hobby.
                                                                                                  -- D

jward

Quote from: Doneldon on December 27, 2014, 10:39:41 PM
Steam-

There's an awful lot of satisfaction in watching a scratch-built product roll down the tracks for the
first time. Or even a heavily adapted, kitbashed one. Model rails who ignore these parts of the hobby
are missing out on two of the most rewarding parts of the hobby.
                                                                                                  -- D

or, in my case. watching trains roll over scratchbuilt trackwork.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

electrical whiz kid

Doneldon;
To stray a bit, I took a couple of Bachmann 2-10-2 Santa Fe types and sort of "New Haven-ized" them, and you are correct; there is nothing better than to watch stuff roll that you have put your hands on and actually breathed life into it.  To me, it beats hell out of R-T-R.  To tout scratch-building a bit more; there is a certain amount of freedom (independence?) to having acquired this ability-and it is a learned process-to be able to say "well...why don't I build..."  and do it.  You are right:  Guys that don't approach  this are missing out on some real excitement and satisfaction.  Sort of like helping out in the birth of a pachederm...(SP?)
Rich (SGT C)

uscgtanker

Let a scratch builder jump in this topic, and a member of a electric trolly line in EAST TROY Wisconsin. When people think of trains they see a diesel or steam loco! When you think PRR you see a K4 GG1 and the streamlined diesels. There is a small market for electric street traction but very few actually dive in a history book to find they can haul freight. In my area we had the The Milwaukee Electric Railway & Light Company a extensive 500 miles of interurban freight haulage and street cars. Simply said the history on electric is really covered with dust! In a scratch builders point of view I have been building a TM steeple cab in G scale. I can make the same thing in HO if I change the drive train and weight. Building a little joe takes a lot more curvature in your material, sure I can carve and then plaster mold the shell but that takes time. When you have the blue prints to copy or the real thing it makes it easier to build. Given time and experience I can build the electrics you ask for, but till then the steeple cabs and interurban cars are what I can do. Though I will tell you on of my co workers at ETTM is building a N scale electric line with operational overhead wire. just to say how hard it can be. You can find my post of my steeple cab in the large scale pages.