Suggestions for a Newbie Train Set?

Started by Fxguy1, December 23, 2014, 07:57:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fxguy1

Hello everyone!

After my previous post about being new to the model railroad hobby and asking what next, I've come to need some advice on a Train Set. Now I know I'm posting this on a Bachman forum, but please if there is another manufacturer out there that will fit better then please suggest it!

Now, I'm looking to model some of the track in and around Champaign, IL which was located on the Illinois Central Line as well as the Peoria and Eastern Railway company (part of the Big four Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago, St. Louis Railway). I found a great roster of IC Steam Locomotives here: http://www.illinois-central.net/Steam%20Roster/SteamRoster.html

Alternatively I'm looking at creating a steampunk railroad to incorporate with my fantasy minis from my board games.

Anyways, for the Prototype, what would be a good approximate starter set ?

Thanks!
Tim

Hunt

Suggest you forget train sets and focus on locomotives and rolling stock that are appropriate for what you want to model. 

Fxguy1

Quote from: Hunt on December 23, 2014, 08:24:46 PM
Suggest you forget train sets and focus on locomotives and rolling stock that are appropriate for what you want to model. 

Thats kind of what I was thinking as well, but wasn't sure if there was a set out there that would be a close approximation.

jward

I am not a steam expert, but I can offer suggestions for the diesel era.

p&e was a new York central property, so any new York central painted locomotives should be appropriate. p&e itself owned a fleet of gp7s, which Bachmann makes in nyc colours.

Illinois central ran a huge fleet of gp9s, which Bachmann also makes. they also had a sizeable fleet of gp40s painted orange and white.

the Bachmann caboose is similar to those used by Burlington and Wabash, both of which ran in Illinois. the heart of the Wabash was its terminal in Decatur.

in addition to the Bachmann starter sets, those of athearn are good quality, walthers trainline are decent as well. keep in mind that if one set doesn't have everything you want, you can mix and match brands to get what you want.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Fxguy1

Quote from: jward on December 23, 2014, 10:22:50 PM
I am not a steam expert, but I can offer suggestions for the diesel era.

p&e was a new York central property, so any new York central painted locomotives should be appropriate. p&e itself owned a fleet of gp7s, which Bachmann makes in nyc colours.

Illinois central ran a huge fleet of gp9s, which Bachmann also makes. they also had a sizeable fleet of gp40s painted orange and white.

the Bachmann caboose is similar to those used by Burlington and Wabash, both of which ran in Illinois. the heart of the Wabash was its terminal in Decatur.

in addition to the Bachmann starter sets, those of athearn are good quality, walthers trainline are decent as well. keep in mind that if one set doesn't have everything you want, you can mix and match brands to get what you want.

This is exactly what I was looking for, something like this. To be honest I'm getting lost! I know that Champaign was part of the Illinois Central and also part of the Wabash, Peoria and Eastern Railway, and the Big four Cleveland, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis lines at one time or another. Also realizing that I may have to start with Diesel until I can find a Steam Locomotive.

What about layouts? It seems that a lot of these lines are straight runs instead of a loop, how does that work out?

Thanks!
Tim

Fxguy1

Also, what about scales? I was thinking of going HO because its widely popular and theoretically accessories would be easy to come by but while at the local hobby shop I noticed the selection of N scale was better than HO.

Any considerations one way vs the other? I mean other than size and space?

jbrock27

Why were my 2 posts erased Mr. Bachmann ???

Luckily, FX, I had also sent you a PM.  That should not have gotten deleted too.

I think HO is best bc of size you work with and detail you get.

To all, a Merry Christmas!, Happy Holidays!  Even you, Mr. Over-officious Bachmann! :D
Keep Calm and Carry On

Fxguy1

I'm thinking about going with the Bachman Rail Chief HO Set to get me up and running with. I think its a pretty close approximation of what ran on local lines.

jbrock27

Consider strongly whether you will feel you have outgrown the system you choose after using it a (short) while.

For the $$, you get a good running car from the Bachmann Silver Series.  Being a good shopper will get you a good price as well.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

the rail chief would get you up and running with decent equipment. you will also probably want to get a few switches and some extra track as well. you can often find 40% off coupons for hobby lobby, which stocks this set.

bear in mind this set is somewhat of an anamoly. the bnsf paint on the loco and caboose is current, the cars themselves are steam era prototypes with more modern lettering.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

jbrock27

Jeff I believe the Rail Chief set he is looking at contains the steel not n/s EZ track.  Would you still recommend?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jward

I have a rail chief set. yes I would recommend. steel track can be replaced at a later date. bear in mind the cost of all the equipment and track in the set, with the 40% off coupon at hobby lobby the price is about $120 for what would list at over $300 if bought as individual pieces. I would, however recommend that any additional track purchased be nickel silver, and that the steel track be used on sidings if possible.

in the old days we used brass track, which was much worse than steel to keep clean. this is a dc set so keeping track clean won't be as uch of an issue as it would be with dcc.
Jeffery S Ward Sr
Pittsburgh, PA

Fxguy1

Quote from: jward on December 24, 2014, 10:08:34 PM
I have a rail chief set. yes I would recommend. steel track can be replaced at a later date. bear in mind the cost of all the equipment and track in the set, with the 40% off coupon at hobby lobby the price is about $120 for what would list at over $300 if bought as individual pieces. I would, however recommend that any additional track purchased be nickel silver, and that the steel track be used on sidings if possible.

in the old days we used brass track, which was much worse than steel to keep clean. this is a dc set so keeping track clean won't be as uch of an issue as it would be with dcc.

That was my first thought too, that I could purchase the set to get up and running and replace track as time and money allow. As it stands, I'm not even sure what layout I want to do. Since this is a DC set, is it upgradeable to DCC or is DCC something I can add on to it later on down the road?

ACY

Quote from: Fxguy1 on December 24, 2014, 10:14:02 PMSince this is a DC set, is it upgradeable to DCC or is DCC something I can add on to it later on down the road?
In my opinion adding DCC to this locomotive is not worth the time or money required for the conversion. If you are considering DCC, I would suggest one of the following sets:
Echo Valley Express (includes 2-6-0 with DCC & sound and an EZ-Command System)

Thunder Chief (includes F7-A with DCC & sound and an EZ-Command System)

Digital Commander (includes a GP-40 with DCC and FT-A with DCC and an EZ-Command DCC System)

If you buy any other Bachmann trainset the locomotive will not have DCC and converting it will not be worth the time or effort when you can simply buy a new DCC locomotive for a very reasonable price. Bachmann DCC locomotives can be found brand new for around $40. Here is one such example: Bachmann FT-A with DCC for only $45

jbrock27

Wow Jeff :o, I am shocked as I do not ever recall seeing you writing anything but negative things about steel track and as long as I can remember, have only ever recommended n/s.

Yea, I know full well about 'the old days', I used brass track as well.  Will still be using some as well.  To me, it is still better than steel track.

I can't see buying something that I am only going to be replacing anyway and something that will more than likely cause me h/a's.  That includes a rather cheesy power pack.  I would put more time into some more shopping around and see what can be found with the right kind of track.   And believe me, I'm a guy that loves coupons.  Of course, when you compare the cost of each item to the overall set, your numbers are going to be similar to what you exampled, but that math works for just about anything that you can compare buying singly to comparing buying as a set.

I think your Athearn suggestion was a better one, that at least comes with Bachmann EZ n/s track.  I still think more along the lines of Hunt's train of thought, as the way to go.

And I will be honest and admit while this has nothing to do with train items, I don't like Hobby Lobby's position regarding their employee's health insurance and I would not give their owners my hard earned dollar.

ACY's suggestions are good too, if FX is going to go DCC.  It seems to me he is still trying to decide.
Keep Calm and Carry On