News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

TRANSFORMER CONNECTION

Started by jberwick, January 22, 2015, 10:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jberwick

I rcently purchased a Jingle Bells train set that came with the 46605A transformer that has a plug in connection from the transformer to the track. The set included a straight track rerailer. I wanted to set up a circular track and ordered an 18 inch circular track rerailer with wiring, unfortunately the wiring for the connection from the transformer was not a plug in type How can I  get the correct wiring? is it sold separately or is there a specific rerailer. I have more than one train set and woulf like to have a straight and curved rerailer

jberwick

Thank you for your interest but how does it help me. None of my questions were answerd

MrMoose

You can buy extra wire with the plug on the end for plugging it into the rerailer.

Len

You have a several of options:

1. Use the power wire that came with the original track set.

2. Go to the 'Order Parts' page and purchase a new phone plug type power wire. Search for "Short Red Power Wire", you want the "New" one.

3. If you can solder, go to Radio Shack and purchase a stereo mini-plug.

a. Cut the U-connectors off the red wires that came with the curved rerailer, and strip about 1/8" of insulation off the ends.

b.  Remove the plastic cover from the plug, and slide it over the wire so it can be reinstalled when your done soldering.

c.  The three sections of the plug are the 'Tip', 'Ring', and 'Sleeve', sometimes refered to as 'Left', 'Right', and 'Common'. Solder one wire to the sleeve connector, the other to the ring connector. The tip connector should be left open.

d.  Once everything's cooled off, reinstall the plastic cover on the plug and you'll have a long plug to EZ-track power connector.

Len
If at first you don't succeed, throw it in the spare parts box.

jbrock27

jbw, what kind of connection does it take at the curved re rerailer?  And what is at the end of the wire that came with the 46605A?
Keep Calm and Carry On

jberwick

Thank you for your interest. The connection at the rerailer is standard. The problem is at the end on the red wire is a jack, rather than the standard clips that you screw on the transformer.

jbrock27

You're quite welcome.

When you say "standard", do you mean a black piece of plastic that has 2 female connectors inside of it that slides into either side of the rerailer?  And what wire if any, came with the curved rerailer?  What is at the other end of the wire that came with the power pack-does it come straight out of the pack, like it is hard wired in there as opposed to being jacked into or connected into the power pack?  Are these items new or 2nd hand that you bought?
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

Okay, clarification is needed.

In your original post you said you had a 46605A transformer that came with the 'Jingle Bells' set. It came with mini-plug to flat connector for EZ-Track to connect power to the track. Then you said you purchased a curved rerailer that came with a flat connector to 'U' terminal connectors, for transformers with screw terminals. If you want to use the longer wire that came with the curved rerailer, you have to install your own mini-plug on it as I described above.

If you purchased a differenct transformer, that has screw connections, you can cut the plug off your short power wire, seperate the wires, strip the ends, and connect to the screws. Or purchase another flat-to-'U' terminal cable from Bachmann, P/N: BAC00002-B Short Power Wire - Old Style.

Len

jbrock27

Okay, clarification is needed.

Yes, this is why I am asking the questions I am asking.  I may have more after answers are provided.

Len, I believe a lot of the things you are listing in your above post, you are taking on assumption, bc I do not see the same level of detail given in the OPs posts before now, to confirm what he has.
Keep Calm and Carry On

Len

No assumptions, from the first line of the OP:

QuoteI rcently purchased a Jingle Bells train set that came with the 46605A transformer that has a plug in connection from the transformer to the track.

Second half of 3rd sentance about purchasing a curved rerailer/power track with wire:

Quote...unfortunately the wiring for the connection from the transformer was not a plug in type How can I  get the correct wiring?

So I explained how to convert the wire that came with the curved rerailer to a plug end from the 'U' terminals, and pointed him at where to purchase another plug type connector if he didn't want to do that.

Shortly after, he responded to your question with:

QuoteThe connection at the rerailer is standard. The problem is at the end on the red wire is a jack, rather than the standard clips that you screw on the transformer.

That's when I asked for the clarification on whether he still trying to use the 46605A with the new cable, or wants to use the original plug type power feed with a new transformer that has screw connections.

Len

jberwick

Hi,
I would like to thank everyone for their patience and help. The part I was looking for is BAC00002, "short red power wire new"

jbrock27

Glad to hear it.  Wasn't so complicated afterall.
Keep Calm and Carry On

jberwick

It is interesting that this transformer comes with a jack and there is no mention that the other transformers all come with the two metal connections. Also, if you buy a rerailer they all come with the two connectiog wires and not a jack and there is no mention of this difference. It is only noticible when there is a problem. I guess if there was a two hundred dollar sale involved they would be more specific. The list of items that came with the set listed no spicific number for and of the parts. The part only cost five dollars but the shipping was six dollars. What Bachmann fails to realize when they make little things difficult the customers look elsewhere.
In any event it was an education.
Thanks again for your interest.

jbrock27

Can't disagree with you.

An FYI.  A lot of folks forgo the rerailer/terminal or just termial, track and instead either solder the leads to the sides of the rails on any section of track or solder the leads to a rail joiner on each side of the track.  In part due to inflated costs of terminal designed track.
Keep Calm and Carry On