News:

Please read the Forum Code of Conduct   >>Click Here <<

Main Menu

Spectrum sd45 dcc ready wheels fall out

Started by Bmannguy, March 11, 2015, 09:46:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bmannguy

Hello Everyone.
I have gotten back into model railroading after some years and had everything stored some old and used some still brand new old store stock that my friend gave me when he closed his doors of his train store in Michigan.
I have a few brand new Spectrum sd45 dcc ready engines that when taken out of the box for the first time the wheels fell out of one of the truck sideframes .I push it back into the side frame hole and it stays ,but derails all the time .The side frame moves up and down like it is too loose.
I took the bottom plate of the truck off to check the gears and for dried up grease ,all ok ,but the side frame has a square pins that slide into the round hole of the gear case and that is where it is loose.
I do not see a way to tighten it up .
Is this normal for the side frames with the bearings in them to move so much or am I missing something? I have 3 that are like this.

Thanks,
Adam

MCENTRAL

Seems like your having the same trouble my friend had and he ordered a new pair of trucks.

Jerrys HO

A pic may help, I have 3 and all side frames are tight. Without taking one apart to see what you are saying a pic of yours may help.

jbrock27

Agree w/Geraldo that a pic would help.

BMG, I would hazard a guess that it is quite possible that part of your derailing problem may be linked to your wheels being out of gauge.  Do you have the ability to check them with an NMRA Track Gauge?
Keep Calm and Carry On

MCENTRAL

Witch sd 45 do you have the split frame?My friend at our club had a few of these  gems that were dcc ready he added sound to .They are heavy and the truck sideframe supports the weight where the axle goes through the pickup plate.Well the side-frame is plastic with pins that are rectangle shape that slide into the round holes in the gear case .Over time the weight causes the pins to wear since a square peg in a round hole is what you would say a  engineering botch of sorts ,but it works if the load is light .This is not the case.I find it odd that new in the box would do this unless the resin shrinks a little over time since the Spectrum SD45 has been out of production for some time in HO.Maybe time to bring her back since Kato no longer makes them and the others are getting quite expensive for the average guy.I like the Spectrum series .